Thread: how long does it take to work?

how long does it take to work?

Hi there,
    ive been on Prozac for 5 weeks now and im still having really really anxious thoughts and im dreading going back to work on the 13th sept.

Could anyone advice how long they take to work and anyones experiences with Prozac?? only good experiences please.

Re: how long does it take to work?

Prozac is a slow burner. I felt benefits at the 4-6 week mark. I'd say it helps me more with the depression than the anxiety but a lot of people find it very helpful for anxiety.

Is it the first AD you've tried? Also accept going back to work is a tough experience but once your back and with the Prozac on board plus work to keep you busy things will really pick up.

Take care, jeb.

Hey Sharon,

Prozac is a slow working drug, like Jeb mentioned. It generally taked 6 weeks to kick in, give or take a couple of weeks. The effects aren't noticable straight waway for a lot of people, but rather work slowly so that you don't notice how much better you are really getting until other people start noticing or you think about something really bad from a month or so back and you realise you haven't felt that bad since then. Remember, no meication works by itself. You have to trust that the medicine will work and do everything you can to aid your recovery. Take some therapy, slowly start to do things you are afraid of, ease into everything.

I first took Prozac for depression when I was a teenager for a year and a half and it changed my life. I improved so much that I couldn't even remember the feelings I had had at the start of my depression and I had no fear of relapsing.

I'm 20 now, and early this year I had some very scary experiences whilst travelling alone which led me to develop severe panic attacks and anxiety. I've been seeing a psychiatrist and taking prozac again for the past 7 months and I am about 100 times better than I was earlier this year. I wouldn't leave the house or sleep alone or eat. I've recovered so much that my life is almost normal again apart from having more anxiety than others and still having a slight phobia of allergies. I didn't realise how much better I was until friends started commenting on the fact that it was the first time they'd seen me in 4 months or when my boyfriend said he was so happy that I looked myself again and could control my thoughts and emotions better. It's always harder for us to see the improvement that others can pick up on so easily.

It's hard to go back to work, I know that feeling too well. Make sure you let your close workmates know what's going on and your manager and how scared you are so you can build some solid support at work. I chose to tell the people I worked with a lot and in the end it was really helpful because I had some bad panic attacks in ym first week back at work and it was so reassuring to have someone there who knew I had bad anxiety and that it was just a panic attack and to sit with me and calm me down

Give it at least 2 or 3 more weeks, and if you feel no benefits at all, speak to your doctor about it. It is a good medication, but it takes a long time in some people, and sometimes you need a higher dose.

Good luck!

Thank you both so very much for answering my post your advice is very helpful. xxx

Thread Information