Thread: Is worrying a form of OCD?

Is worrying a form of OCD?

What's up, people? Well, I posted here about a year ago about my problems, and something I realized was that it wasn't the thoughts that bothered me so much, but it was the worrying and fear that made them so much more. Still not sure if I have OCD, or if it was just me over-reacting.

I was wondering...if worry is a form of OCD? You know when you worry so much about a specific thing that you can't be yourself for a while. Would anybody worry alot, or would it just be a person with an anxiety disorder.

Thanks for the answers!

Re: Is worrying a form of OCD?

Hi

Loads of people worry and I don't think it is just about OCD and anxiety.

It is human nature to worry about things but sometimes it gets out of control so you need to rationalise what you are worrying about and why?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hey there,

i understand what you mean i am not sure of the answer either, i worry about people not being ok all the time - overly worrying on stop where in reality most times they are fine.

worrying is annoyiing when you do too much of it but its hard work to cotrol but it will get better xxxxxxx

love minnie xxxxxxxxx

minnie xxxx

worrying obsessively is a kind of ocd, especially if you rely on checking and reassurance to feel okay.
    Also it is bordering on a compulsion if you are reluctant to give it up because you wonder what might happen if you do stop worrying about your health or others for example. It may just be anxiety but all the anxiety disorders are so closely related and overlap in their form and seem to vary for all people.
    I have been told that health anxiety is the most similar to ocd because it can become almost superstitious and sufferers are reluctant to let go of it. ie. if I don't worry about my health, then that will be the moment I have a heart attack/stroke/ get MS. All completely illogical thoughts because worry is no protection against the possibility of any of those things.

It might help you to know this, it has helped me a little to begin to sort things out in my head.

Here is something I read in "From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett:

She says: "Most people who experience anxiety are obsessive thinkers but are not necessarily compulsive." She continues to say, "When you think obsessively you get one thought in your mind and dwell on it over and over again. When you have compulsive behaviours, you may do something over and over again."

Hope this helps.

hi there, i have OCD, i think when most people worry it passes, but i think with peoplr like me i obbess about worrying, it becomes a circle. so if you are worrying all the time abotu something and its getting a little concerneing for you or you cant leave some thoughts alone, then maybe it is OCD. hope that helps, take care M x

Thread Information