Thread: Fear of dying in my sleep

Fear of dying in my sleep

I've had this for years and it's really apparent lately. I could be OK and really tired but all of a sudden I'll try fight sleep as the fear of dying in my sleep shows itself. I've had it every night severely for the last 3 weeks. I feel so alone and when my partner falls asleep I get even worst. Am I alone? Any advice or techniques?

Re: Fear of dying in my sleep

I've heard of old, sick people feeling this way. Please, remember you are you are young and do not have a chronic illness. The chances of this happening is nil. Have you been able to talk to your partner about this?

I used to have this Shivmarie and it was one of the reasons I used to stay up so late.
    I was always surprised to wake up in the morning, ALIVE!

There was no apparent cure, it just faded as time went by and I still occasionally think this way, but I feel more at peace about it after doing relaxation exercises and meditation and living a fuller life.

You see we have too much time to think!!!!
    Fill your life with hobbies, pastimes, exercise, good food and friendship and you feel less scared about it. It is natural to have an occasional thought like this, but not to affect you living.

Yeah he's been great, but he don't fully understand, as supportive as he is.
    I'm just frustrated in myself as it's just this persistsant thought, mainly as I'm settling down. I think it's my fear of SADS is probably combined to be honest. But I've always had this fear that I won't wake up from my sleep, it's like on loop and I really wish I could cope with the thoughts as I end up falling to sleep but then I'll wake up and be like "I could of died" it's horrible.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Carnation thanks for that. It's peace of mind that I'm not alone.
    I do live a very isolated life, I don't have many friends they all are in their own worlds, no hobbies, I work thankfully but unless I'm with my partner who I mainly see at weekends I am on my own a lot, so I know if I filled myself up with things k could help myself.
    Which relaxation exercises do you do?
    It's been a while since my CBT sessions so I have forgotten a lot of my techniques :(

I think loneliness can definitely be a trigger. I can relate to that too.
    You can have people around you, but you can still feel alone.

I do Yoga mainly, muscle relaxation, breathing exercises and listen to relaxation apps.
    You could join a yoga class and you might meet some people at the same time.

Thread Information