Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: alcohol and panic-do they mix?

alcohol and panic-do they mix?

I have noticed if I drink too much and do not get enough sleep that I am almost assured to have a panic attack. So then I have another glass of wine to make that feeling go away. It seems to be a vicious cycle. Can anyone relate to this? Any suggestions?[xx(]
    Thanks!!!

tessa

if you get like that, are you sure you want to drink at all? i know it would put me off.

hi Tessa,

I avoid drinking at all because I had my first panic attack after a night of heavy drinking. I don't think that anxiety and alcohol mix very well at all and if it makes you feel like that, then it is probably better not to drink at all.

Sarah

Much of this may be the sugar balance .

Wine has lots of sugar that increases your blood level - as the alcohol gets processed your sugar levels drop thus bringing on the symptoms again . etec

If this does affect you and it affected me massively when I was acute - then follow a Glycaemic Index diet for a few weeks.
    Loads of books around on it as well as previous posts. Essentially cut out all simple carbohydrates and keep to complex ones that provide long term energy not just short term sugar hits.

Remember that with anxiety the adrenalin and cortisol comes from the endocrine glands and that system also controls sugar balance through another gland.

As you get better it subsides - I can now eat anything anytime.

I did stop all alcohol for a couple of months - that helped too

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Oh yes

Alcohol = more anxiety and panic attacks. I used to drink a lot every night to relieve the panic attacks and then the next day I panic'd cos I had a hangover too.

Try to drink in moderation cos it definitely aggrevates the panic symptoms.

Nicola

Hi Tessa

I know the feeling, I like a drink or 6 too!
    It does make you feel better for a short while and then it comes back 10 times worse the next day.
    It's hard but I have proved to myself if I don't drink in the week then the symptoms are much less obvious, start by trying one night without and see how you feel

Take care

Elaine x

Hi Tessa,
    I too get the panic attacks after a 'session' I used to drink heavy but now I dont drink at all in the week only at weekends and I have cut that down drastically.

However if I am going to drink I make sure I have enough to eat, little and often helps me.

I have been following the GI diet for a few weeks and it has really helped, I also find if I eat within an hour or so of getting up and keep eating every few hours helps. This was advice from the wonderful meg and dont forget the rescue remedy spray.

Trace xx

I dont have that problem i dont drink and never have and never will

i used to drink heavily when i was at college ( 17-18yrs ) and i would go straight from college at 4pm to my friends house and drink alot of alcohol. After getting panic attacks, i have stopped drinking like this. Mainly because i like to be in control of how i feel

This is an interesting topic because - on a selfish note - I may find out if it affects me tonight.. there's a leaving do for one of the girls from my work and I've been told I'm expected to drink! I told them I wasn't drinking at the moment (I'm not a big drinker but like Lainey I occasionally allow myself one or several ) but you know how it is with such things!

I haven't wanted to drink and have the feeling that if I do it might bring something on - so I suppose I'll either be brave (and stick to pints of orange juice and lemonade) or foolish and pour some Guinness and/or red wine down my neck and see what happens!

I know I'm a very different person when I'm drunk and I do get very miserable.. so, probably not a good idea.. Tessa, can you set yourself a ration? Try to work out when the alcohol kicks-in and starts to make you feel bad? If so, I would suggest a firm ration and see if your friends will help you stick to it.. Failing that, steer clear of it if you can..

J

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information