Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

Re: Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

Ok so that just made me feel worse .. As I am only 40 :( and she is only 24...I didnt know .. I wish I would've known and asked the right questions but I didn't :( I guess some of us learn lessons the hard way ....

Ya I'm scared... And really worried

Country girl I read ur post On another forum how you know a radiologist etc. is my risk high ? :( I do appreciate ur info and I'm glad I know now not to have anymore but im looking ( we are ) looking for any little bit of hope that we might be ok ...I know we can't change anything now but we are just worried sick ... Please help us ..

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Worriedgirl ~ are you doing ok ? Ur in my thoughts and prayers .. Where are you from?

I am so worried god help us :(

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

I feel fine physically . I just am scared that's all.

I'm in quite a similar boat.

I have 3 chest x rays, at least 10 of my jaw/skull as I had teeth growing in my cheeks, about 10 of my teeth and multiple for both legs and ankles, as well as an abdominal one a few times. None of them were ever by choice - I have dental issues, jaw issues, broken both legs, have had a lot chest infections and had a ruptured tummy lining as a baby/four year old.

Best thing you can do is not worry, they only raise the risk very slightly.
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

I dont answer health questions normally ..but this is upsetting you so much

YES there is a risk and as country girl says if there is alternative in future ask for it .

Without x rays we would be in a bad place truly . the option would be docs having no guidance to what is the truth about our illness . It is a very important diagnostic tool .
    Ct and Mri scans are expensive and are used rightly so for those that have more complicated illness that x rays dont show up clearly [eg soft tissue and nerves ]

Radiotherapy which is cancer treatment uses high doses of x ray to cure and control cancer . Patients of mine are back years later with no effect at all . you got to balance the small risk against the illness . Docs need this info to treat you . not so sure about dentists though . x

You must trust the docs and the research xxxxx
    we all are exposed to radiation when ill and it has been carefully looked into .
    Ask by all means if there is an alternative .........but dont knock this very valuable diagnostic tool back if your doctor thinks it will help to sort problem .

please please dont worry .
    snow xxxx

Thank you snow .. I have never been so scared of anything in my life .. My husband and I did 3 rounds of ivf to have my son who just turned two and I just want to be around for him and I feel like I have totally jeopardized that now for being stupid . I'm feeling so guilty I wasn't smart enough to say no . I know worrying is just going to make it worse and it's not healthy but I don't know how to shut it off ? I know nobody really knows what the odds are because everyone is different and ct ' s haven't been around long enough for people to make any kind of accurate odds.. Which scares me even more :( I just need to get on with my life and enjoy my family and get out bed and start living again .. Like my husband says why worry now when ur still well and nothings wrong with you it's not going to do you or us any good .

A CAT scan is about the same dose as an air hostess gets in one year of air travel

Thanks old time ...I have researched that like what we get in a year for just living in America and its like 6 msv's but that's spread out over an entire year on your whole body .. Ct's are directed in an area in seconds so therefore do more damage to DNA :( Ugh .. I'm thinking I should just just off my phone and. Computer and be done with all this .. I think it's just making it worse ..But I feel like if I don't talk about it I will just go crazy .. Maybe I should just listen to my husband and move on .. What's my alternative ..

You are worried about radiation exposure at the moment but by its very nature health anxiety will mean that a few weeks down the line you will have found a different scenario to worry about. Its health anxiety this is what happens to us all.

I can read your total panic in your posts, you are not really reading the replies in the context they are meant you are picking out the bits that fuel you current terror and focusing on them.

I have been where you are years ago - I was in my early 30's and like you found out all the negative things about x ray exposure but then I realised that there was nothing i could do about it.

As I said in my earlier post - I personally know alot of people who have had either no x rays or maybe one chest x ray and yet they go on to deveop cancer, and I also know people who have been exposed to radiation at work that far far exceeds what you have had and they are fine decades later.

You have to move on for your sanity, you can't change what you have already had, you can limit the amount you have from now on, the risk of any adverse effects is absolutely tiny so please go out and enjoy your life now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information