Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shortness of breath...someone?

shortness of breath...someone?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can describe there sob with their anxiety? I have been dealing with the sob on and off and now seems like its almost everyday thing. Can't figure out what is making it happen. I do have chest pain and muscle tightness with it and wondering if i have a stomach thing going on that could be causing it>? Worried that it could be a lung problem...i had a chest catscan done in March, do you think something could pop up since then? It seems like it just pops out of nowhere and can go on for awhile and then disappears, but it does happen when i move around sometimes too....someone please help me........

Re: shortness of breath...someone?

Chest tightness and difficulty breathing is a really common symptom of anxiety. I've had this a few times. It's a horrible feeling, isn't it. The thing is though that you'll always get enough breath. Deep breathing from your tummy definitely helps, count to 7 slow breaths in, count to11 out. It will pass.
    Myra

Its on and off all the time lately, if it were lungs, do you think it would come and go?

Honestly, I think it's your chest muscles caused by anxiety. It feels like your lungs but it's not. Try the breathing technique I mentioned and even concentrating on this will take your mind off the chest tightness. It will go when you relax. It's a really common anxiety symptom. It can happen any time of the day, morning, noon or night, whenever you feel stressed. If your tests were okay then be reassured that this is what's causing the feeling.
    Myra

Thsnk you, I appreciate your help, I am assuming not toomuch could change in 8 months since catscan...what do u think? sorry,i am just tryin to reassure myself instead of running to emergency room...

Try the deep breathing, count 7 in through the nose inflating your tummy, count 11 out through the mouth getting rid of the air. Do this a few times and it will help. It sounds like a simple fix but it does help. The scan would have shown anything up. Please try to relax. It's all this horrible anxiety thing!!!
    Myra

Hi there

Anxiety really will effect your breathing like this as Myra says.

I have posted this advice before from the great Dr Weekes......A good exercise to stop rapid shallow breathing: lie flat on the floor or bed, bend knees and bring legs close to your body, keeping feet flat on the ground. Then place arms across chest, right hand grasping left shoulder, left hand grasping right shoulder. This produces abdominal breathing'.

The feeling that you can't breathe is caused by chest muscles tightening due to anxiety...Dr Weekes also says 'do not let it frighten you. Breathe as shallowly as you feel you must, but donot be concerned with what will happen because you breathe this way. Your respiritory centre will see that you inspire enough air, despite your effort to hinder it'.

This will get better.

Veronica

in my case, deep breathing caused me to overbreathe.

check out the self help section of www.bp.edu where it explains more, it helped me a lot

do you think if it is from anxiety, can i still feel winded when doing things, like walking or any kind of moving around? or do you think i should get checked out, when i felt like this one day last month and i was at the dr with my son, they checked my oxygen level and said it was fine....i just dont want to ignore it if its something to be concerned about....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information