Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Core beliefs

Re: Core beliefs

I think it depends what psychology you read as to what your core beliefs are. There's Eric Berne's script for one. But if I were to round them all up into one the idea of core beliefs means how you view yourself and the world around you.

I know that some of my core beliefs are negative, I feel that I am worthless around people, which explains the pathetic social life and adds to the depression, and that I must be perfect. On the other hand I have positive core beliefs in which we should respect everybody and treat others as we want to be treated, we should give more to our society and world than we take from it and you should always trust your hardest (instead of being perfect).

You could take this away and analysis depressive and anxious disorders as coming from negative and destructive core beliefs, but I think everybody is guilty of having negative beliefs.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Negative core beliefs are okay for the most part if you know you have them and what they are. It is when you don't and they are still directing your life. (as in some PTSD)

bump

Bumpalump

Sam you are so funny. I'm going to pee myself.

A useful way to tackle a problem with a belief is by using a "Vicious Flower". This allows you to look at the belief and your behaviours towards it in terms of prevention of it coming true or to protect yourself from your belived the consequences of your belief i.e. the maintenance cycles.

Here is a good example:

http://psychology.tools/vicious-flower-formulation.html

You can take it forward by creating a "Virtuous Flower" which seeks to counter it as seen here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...flower&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=1606238698

(See pages 78-81)

Do you notice the strong use of acceptance in the Virtuous Flower? Self directed compassion can also be seen.

Is it me terry the example you have given Vicious flower is very good and looks like the vicious circle i did when doing my CBT therapy and it worked very well on my psychology,i still go back to it occasionally.

Richard1960

It is similar, I created a vicious circle when doing CBT, it's in my little notebook
    twas based on
    Situation -> Belieifs -> Feelings ( Phys/Emo ) -> Behaviour -> Situations

It drove me understanding that my negative impression of myself was driving out a lot of negative situations and anxiety, it doesn't really improve things for me as I struggle still to break the negative

Maybe a virtuous circle/cycle would help, Ive not seen that in CBT i've done thx

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Richard1960

It is similar, I created a vicious circle when doing CBT, it's in my little notebook
    twas based on
    Situation -> Belieifs -> Feelings ( Phys/Emo ) -> Behaviour -> Situations

It drove me understanding that my negative impression of myself was driving out a lot of negative situations and anxiety, it doesn't really improve things for me as I struggle still to break the negative

Maybe a virtuous circle/cycle would help, Ive not seen that in CBT i've done thx
    Hi mezzaninedoor.

Just found my booklets it shows in mine as did yours i suspect all the negative things in the circle and at the end tells you how to stop the circle, by changed thinking patterns.

But as you say i have never seen a Virtuous circle /cycle in CBT the nearest is the one in my booklet.

It did not improve things for me much at the start but with all the counselling i have then it all fell into place and i had to work on some reverse psychology and go back over the many things that were making me feel negative that was scary.

Also it all did not make sense until my citalopram had kicked in and helped me feel less depressed.

My course was the one mind do by Dr Chris Williams it comes with 9 booklets and was an online course i can refer back to.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information