Thread: Depersonalization

Depersonalization

Hi there, ii would appreciate anybody's advice on how to deal with this horrible depersonalization. When my problems started, two and a half years ago after a very traumatic routine operation, i never even heard of such a thing as unreality. But, my GP started me on Seroxat and since i have taken that i have had unreality really badly. I wouldn't mind if it was just the tablets but after having such a rough time on them i went back and he upped the dose. Still suffering i went back and he upped the dose again, obviously by this time i thought i was going to be locked up in an asylum and that my life was over for good. I went back and it was decided that i was to wean myself off the seroxat, which i did, slowly. I wasn't on them very long and have not taken them since middle of last year, but the unreality and depersonalization has remained in my body and my mind. It is like my mind has LEARNED this experience and will not let it go and i am finding just living each day very very difficult. . Of course i KNOW really WHERE i am, this is my house etc, but i don't feel right, i am not me, i feel strange. Fuzzy and confused and that horrible floaty feeling. Does anyone know what i am talking about and have you any good ideas to help? I have tried 'grounding' myself, stamping on the floor and everything that i have read, i have tried. Nothing seems to work. Any advice or support would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Angiebaby.x
    Last edited by angiebaby; 12-07-15 at 22:28.

Re: Depersonalization

It is soooo horrible, isn't it? It was, and still is, the most scary of all the symptoms that I've experienced with the anxiety/panic attacks.

Unfortunately, until your anxiety subsides the unreal feelings will remain. It would seem to be our minds way of protecting ourselves from the anxiety, ie withdrawing ourselves slightly from the real world. Scares me to death in all honesty

It seems that I looked at the world through a fog for many years until suddenly, little by little, I began to realise that the world was getting more back in focus for me. I still suffer with it occasionally, especially when I'm tired or entering a new situation, but it is a whole lot better than before.

I used to try to run from my feelings, but the only way to conquer it is to stay, ride it and try your very best not to panic and make matters worse. Easier said than done, I know, but it really is the only answer.

Kate

hi there
    im sorry your going through this horrible feeling. Yes I do know what your talking about and funny enough hubby and I was only talking about it tonight.

Im full blown with it at the moment and cannot ground myself at all.
    It all started last year after having a break down, Im taking so many anti psycotic drugs because of my problems. Its not the drug causing it. The reason is the help im receiving is stopping me from selfharming, if I selfharm im ok if i dont i depersonalise, its the brain shutting and trying to cope.
    some times i cant even move speak just blink but that is sever.

Everyone is different and im not saying you will suffer the same.

Some times it happens if im pushed too much to talk about bad stuff that has happened to me, so my brain shuts down and im no longer apart of what is going on around me, its like watching a movie.

I hope you can get through this or get some proper help.
    take care
    ness

Angie,

I get it too ..sometimes bad sometimes not..I have some today ..the only thing that really helps this is to stay busy doing anything,everything ,keep your mind active and your hands busy .Wash clothes take out the garbage,clean the house or do whatever it takes that you have to think think think about what you are doing..It subsides and eases the feelings and after awhile it will subside and decrease and go away completely.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I have to come up with things to do .. but keeping busy keeps me from thinking about it and it helps a lot.. even today ,feels very freaky for me.. but im still just trying to keep it together writing here and doing things around the house .I have even been to town already and ran errands and I didnt want to but made myself.. So biggest key here stay busy doesnt really matter doing what just stay busy . Michael

Thread Information