Thread: Burning throat and trapped burp?

Burning throat and trapped burp?

Hi all,

Unfortunately it is me again with my ongoing stomach issues.

To cut a long story short, I am currently on omeprazole for excess stomach acid. It's been very up and down.

I spoke to my doctor last week as I felt it was causing me bowel issues, but it cleared up. I did tell him I wasn't sure if the omeprazole was working and he told me that I likely have inflammation in my stomach and that will take at least a month to heal. This put my mind at ease and I was doing great with it... until Saturday night.

I've now got a burning sensation in the back of my throat (which is worse at night) and this... it's almost like a burp is building up in my esophagus (kind of the middle of my chest) it gets stuck and holds there and I have this rather uncomfortable feeling for a minute or so before it clears. It is coming and going as well. I wouldn't call it pressure exactly and I've no trouble swallowing or eating and if I do actually burp, it does clear. (I have been wondering whether this 'trapped burp' feeling is actually the stomach acid as I did have it before I started the omeprazole, but it just seems to have gotten slightly worse.)

I don't know whether I should speak to my doctor again about it as this will be the second or third time I've gone to him about this and I don't want to be sent for tests. But with Christmas coming up, I don't really want to be suffering and worrying.

Anyone have any advice? I know omeprazole is not a quick fix, but I am just concerned as to why this has started. ):

Re: Burning throat and trapped burp?

Hi, I have been on omeprazole because the doctor thought I had silent reflux. I sometimes get the trapped burp feeling, I just put it down to something I've eaten. I think you still have to be careful what you eat even if you are taking omeprazole.

I have the same as you. Do you drink?

Apparently processed foods and spicy foods make this worse.
    I suffer with acid reflux and it can cause a burning sensation in the stomach and the back of the throat.
    Also trying eating slower and smaller mouthfuls and chew your food more than usual.
    I can't do fizzy drinks or alcohol without my stomach suffering either.

Thank you all for your replies.

Urusainaa, no, I don't drink alcohol (never really have). But I am putting the burning down to something I ate as it went away after a day or so. To test it, I ate something similar and it happened again.

The trapped burp business is still ongoing, almost always about 3 hours after I've eaten and always worse at night (I probably should have said everything calms down once I've eaten). I honestly don't think it's dietary related as I've tried not eating certain foods, cut caffeine out my diet and have only been drinking water.

I am beginning to think I do have silent reflux as most of this discomfort is in the middle of my chest/esophagus. I say discomfort because it's never been painful like stabbing or shooting pains. The only other thing I get is a gnawing sensation with it, but that seems to be textbook gastritis and would make sense with what my doctor said about the stomach being inflamed.

My doctor (I also am lucky that I have a very good doctor who has always sorted me out in the past) wants to review in the New Year and I still have 2 weeks left on the omeprazole so I guess we just have to wait and see (though unfortunately I became very stressed last week after injuring my knee, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's all flared up again because of that!)

Hello ...do you happen to take Fluoxetine (generic for prozac)? When i take this medicine in the evening then lay down, oh my goodness the burn in my throat starts, and then the fire ball feeling in my stomach that make me have to get up move around so i can burp and burp and burp for over an hour. Its painful. I know take it in the morning with my omeprazole. I'd rather suffer the tiredness then the burning burping pain.

Thread Information