Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hit my knee hard. What if I broke my femur and I am dying without knowing??

Re: I hit my knee hard. What if I broke my femur and I am dying without knowing??

Hiyer,

Can't do long reply now....but will be back am to do so. You are doing really well,keep at it.....will give my thoughts am.

Re: I hit my knee hard. What if I broke my femur and I am dying without knowing??

I broke my femur when I was eleven. It was pain on a par with childbirth (the only two really intense painful experiences I have ever had!) I almost passed out and I could not move my leg at all let alone walk. I had to be taken straight to hospital in an ambulance. I'm 41 now and I can still remember it! You honestly would know if you'd broken this bone, it's a really major bone to break. You will be fine.

One more question

When one has health anxiety I'm sure we can agree that putting away the fear of a disease can make us think.. "I'm forgetting about this to make me stop having worry thoughts. But what if I'm putting my life at risk and not giving it attention?"

How do you know how and when to trust yourself that you're okay? Be more confident in yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinor762 View Post
    One more question

When one has health anxiety I'm sure we can agree that putting away the fear of a disease can make us think.. "I'm forgetting about this to make me stop having worry thoughts. But what if I'm putting my life at risk and not giving it attention?"

How do you know how and when to trust yourself that you're okay? Be more confident in yourself?
    Of the tens of thousands of threads and members on this site, I know of maybe three that actually had something going on.

One of the things you can do is look at some of the long time members histories. Dozens and dozens of fears of deadly illnesses and none came to fruition. I can tell you as one who has had some real dangerous physical issues (heart attacks and cancer), that there's no doubt something was wrong.

The fears you've posted (look at your post history) are so fantastical in nature as to be absurd (sorry, being honest and blunt).

One difference in you compared to some, is that once the panic subsides, you actually have rational thoughts about them upon reflection and as Carys noted, you respond to members posts and pursue a dialog which is encouraging.

The bottom line is taking the steps in real life to address your HA. That means therapy and meds if needed. These are just words on a screen that go away when you click the little "x" at the top right of the screen. You have to live with yourself and the thoughts when you close the screen.

I have real life physical issues that can put me six feet under. Living in fear and reacting to the irrationality of those fears is effectively doing that to you above ground. You have choice to live or live in fear. Which will you choose to do?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I feel confused to what just happened. A bit worried.
    Trigger: felt something pop out of place inside my body near my butt/leg.
    What if I die. This is probably a result of me hitting my knee earlier.
    Evidence: I felt it. Doesn't normally happen ever so I should get to the bottom of this.
    Evidence against: I can walk. It doesn't hurt it only felt weird. I feel completely fine.
    How I feel now: calm. 5/10 worried.

Conclusion: what happened to me was weird. it's okay to be uncertain about things. but anxiety makes me want to be certain that I am ok.

I'm most likely ok?
    Ah thats interesting, yes, if things happen that you haven't experienced before then it can stress HA people out majorly. You are spot on, because you are anxious in the extreme about your body you want to know what it was and finding the reason might help you eliminate nasty reasons - OR - you might start focusing on an unpleasant reason for the 'pop'. I think that thought record was interesting, and I applaud you for your conclusion. Yes, it was weird and not something you've felt before, but as you feel completely fine, as you can walk fine, as it was only momentary, you conclude that it wasn't a threat - just odd.

Thats a good conclusion.

I should think that since this knee bump you've been holding and flexing your leg a bit differently, perhaps putting more pressure on the hip joint and the ligaments, tendons and muscles there. It sounds to me like it could have been a joint pop from the fluid that has air bubbles, or have been a tendon - they can 'pop' as they pass each other or go through their sheath. This can apparently happen during exercise and yoga for some people, as they stretch and use joints and areas of the body differently to usual. So, I would suggest to you that you've probably been using your hip area differently since bumping your knee.

It is OK to be uncertain about things, yes, and I can understand why this freaked you in your current mental state. You know what though, the humand body does this, its not perfectly functioning all the time - it develops noises, blemishes and assorted minor issues that are nothing and will resolve in time. Your body isn't something that is 'against you' and of which you have to be constantly monitoring incase it fails or malfunctions, you are a heathy young male. Wait till you get to the age of FMP and me, then you'll be popping, cracking, aching, and have all sorts. ;o)

I think you did well with this record.

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

At this point I agree its hard to know - you have trained your mind into a pattern of over highly over responsiveness to every single twinge and sniffle. It may seem that you could never know what is a genuine concern and when something is really wrong, you might miss it if you don't keep up your hypervigilance. However, the way you get to the point of knowing when to respond to something or not is by applying the same thought record type rationalising as you are currently learning to do.

As you keep practicing it, keep forming conclusions and build those skills it becomes easier to determine what is a real threat, what can be left and monitored and what is nothing to worry about.

Thank you all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information