Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New day, new bat

Rabies fear

Hello everyone.. I’m new here... I just needed help and had nowhere to go..

On Friday night I was at a huge concert outdoors 60k people.. my husband and I saw bats flying overhead.. at least what appeared to be bats at dusk..

Anyway.. about a half hour later I felt this burning /stinging/ itching pain on my leg.. I kept checking but didn’t see anything down there..

The next day I noticed 2 small pinprick dots side by side... we were sitting on bleacher like seats... there was space underneath it but it was all metal and concrete.. I was wearing a flowey skirt with the front of my legs exposed...

What are the chances a bat could have gotten down there and bit me? Mind you.. 60k people.. tiered seating.. wouldn’t I have felt it fly into me? Can bates even bite when they are flying??? It was super loud and dark at this time.. any chance I could miss this? There were also people crowded in above below and around me...

The only thing that is keeping me kind of sane is the fact that I dry shaved 3 hours before... so maybe it was razor burn? The spots went away after a day... but I’ve read that you can’t see a bat bite!!

Re: Rabies fear

Bats don't just fly up and bite you for no reason, could you have scratched it on bleacher, could it have been mosquito bite, chigger. Here is what I found All Bats Carry Rabies.
    FALLACY. All mammals can contract and carry rabies, however bats are not asymptomatic carriers of the disease. In reality, bats contract rabies far less than other animals. Less than 1/2 of 1% of all bats may contract the disease. A variety of wild animals (rabies vector species) can catch rabies, including foxes, skunks, raccoons, coyotes and bats. Cats and dogs and even livestock can also contract rabies. batworld.org. Yes it could have been from your razor

Lol I know.. that’s what I’m trying to think too... I mean.. I don’t think so.. the bleachers were smooth sleek metal... the part that was irritated was on the front of my leg which was only exposed to air.. we don’t have mosquitos.. and chiggers.. well like I said I was in a super urban area lol.. just seems weird it started being irritated 3 hours later but maybe that’s how razor burn works..

And yes I now not all bats do...you just hear scary things..especially the fact that I saw them in a large crowd.. I’ve heard sick bats do things that went normal.. and to me flying near a large crowd isn’t.... but maybe bats arnt afraid of humans. Idk....

For some people summer is the time of prosperity and happiness and everything flourishing. For others it is rabies fearVery, very , very sad.
    I feel verry sorry for those of you obsessing yourself over rabies, I really do. Not because I think you get rabies, cause YOU DONT, but because you are wasting wonderful time in this life; in this one chance we got in life in this nonsense. That is why you need treatmen, not for your imaginary rabies but for ANXIETY. Nuff said.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingincolor1390 View Post
    Lol I know.. that’s what I’m trying to think too... I mean.. I don’t think so.. the bleachers were smooth sleek metal... the part that was irritated was on the front of my leg which was only exposed to air.. we don’t have mosquitos.. and chiggers.. well like I said I was in a super urban area lol.. just seems weird it started being irritated 3 hours later but maybe that’s how razor burn works..

And yes I now not all bats do...you just hear scary things..especially the fact that I saw them in a large crowd.. I’ve heard sick bats do things that went normal.. and to me flying near a large crowd isn’t.... but maybe bats arnt afraid of humans. Idk....
    Yes but, no but, yes but no but....you dont have rabies! PERIOD! You need help for your anxiety. PERIOD! And meanwhile try to enjoy the summer. It is a very short and wonderful time.

I know this is hardly the topic of the thread, but I have to ask - what are "bleacher like seats."

They sound like they'd burn.

Yeah it could be razor burn, heck when I had a barn with horses and cows, I would go in and there would be bats hanging from the beams, one flew down landed on my shirt and just sat there, for a bit and then flew off, everytime I would go into the barn and feed the horses and tend to them, one would come down to check me out, bleacher seats are like what are in gyms in high schools, sporting events

I just wanted to post & offer support/solidarity. I drove myself absolutely CRAZY with worry one summer over rabies fears, & my situation, in retrospect, did not warrant the level of fear I experienced AT ALL. I just want to say that in all the research I did on rabies at that time, what I discovered is that it's very, very unlikely in a general sense. In my case, I had a really rude & uninformed quack doctor at the urgent care exacerbate my worries (in an attempt to scare me) - only for my PCP to arch a brow & go... HUH?!

I strongly, strongly doubt a bat could've bitten you without you actually noticing.

Thank you guys for your input.. I know it’s an irrational fear.. I get it.. but just because it’s irrational doesn’t make it any less distressing.. kicking someone when down doesn’t help.. I know some people try to be logical.. but we do have emotions and need a little more encouragement sometimes.

On the other side, to the encouragement I did receive thank you... I’m simmering down and not worried as much.. just trying not to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingincolor1390 View Post
    Thank you guys for your input.. I know it’s an irrational fear.. I get it.. but just because it’s irrational doesn’t make it any less distressing.. kicking someone when down doesn’t help.. I know some people try to be logical.. but we do have emotions and need a little more encouragement sometimes.

On the other side, to the encouragement I did receive thank you... I’m simmering down and not worried as much.. just trying not to think about it.
    It is totally fine, even commendable, to be emotional person but, for your own sake, you should not let unhealthy emotions, such as anxiety, ruin your life. As for the encouragement, here is my best effort - the chance that you got bitten by a rabid bat while attending a rock concert is zero. Literally zero. The fact that the spot went away after a day and that, except for anxiety, you fill fine, proves that nothing else serious occurred. No offence, but I think that deep down you know it too - therefore you just need to have that knowledge prevail over anxiety.

Margaret Thatcher

I know... and I’m trying to think it’s not...I had a super busy week/ weekend that distracted me... but last night I got super exhausted andcould barely move... the susPect spot on my leg yesterday started ringing and itching ... and I also have a cough now too... I’m fearing the worst! I’m really really trying to believe it’s nothing but it’s so hard...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information