Thread: hysterical laughter during panic attack?

hysterical laughter during panic attack?

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced laughing uncontrollable during the peak of a panic attack. Usually at this point I feel like I can't breathe well, my throat is tight, I feel nausous and extremely dizzy and I have a feeling like I could break into hysterical crying which sometime turns into a kind of hysterical reflex-like laughing. So, has anyone else experienced this laugh reflex, whatever it is, or am I simply about to have a nervous breakdown?

Thankx,
    Taryn

I don't think its anything about a breakdown

We all find our own emotional pattern that our panic follows - If this is yours and it marks the peak of one then its preferable to some experiences I had.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Personally i havent laughed when having a panic attack, but have laughed to the extent where i think i wont breath and if at that time thought about panic/anxiety i would have no doubt turned it into a panic attack as in cant breath etc.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">We all find our own emotional pattern that our panic follows - If this is yours and it marks the peak of one then its preferable to some experiences I had.
    Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 13 September 2005 : 20:25:22</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Meg that made me chuckle, I love your dry sense of humour!!!

Sal - I'm the same, sometimes I've laughed so hard I thought it may go horribly wrong and turn into a panic attack. I hadn't connected it to my breathing though, as I always thought its because I'm letting go of control the same way as if you cry. Laughing and crying being two sides of the same coin.

Either way I'm sure its a good way to release emotions so I intend to keep doing it (well the laughing one at least)!!

Does that help at all Taryn or I have I just confused the issue.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Could this be because you feel embarrased ?

I once went on a airplane to turkey on holiday (many years ago).
    The plane went thru a bad thunderstorm and the captain told us all to fasten our seat belts. I was really scared as the airplane started dropping down really fast (maybe to escape the storm?)
    Every pasenger looked absoluteloy terrified.
    what did i do in my mist of PANIC ?
    I LAUGHED MY HEAD OFF.........I HAVE NEVER LAUGHED SO MUCH IN MY WHOLE LIFE.
    I cant explain why i did it but have never forgotten it, my friend said i was Bonkers.

mirryx

Hi Taryn,
    Laughing is just another way of releasing our emotions, some people burst into tears and some people laugh. Its nothing to do with having a breakdown its just a way of coping with the panics.
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Thanks everyone!

That gives me alot of insight. I should have stated that when this "laugh attack" starts it is no way because I'm actually happy or laughing at something. I guess I would describe it as simply nervous laughter, although I sound quite mad when this happens as it feels like I'm about to have a breakdown.

I had a really bad panic attack yesterday after I wrote this actually and ended up sitting in the parking lot of an emergency room contemplating if I was really sick or not. Thankfully I called my mom and she 'talked me down'. I was infact just a bad panic attack that lasted like 5 hours. Feeling much better now though.

-Taryn

Thread Information