Thread: Getting worse - cancer? Globus?

Getting worse - cancer? Globus?

I posted a week so about the lump in my throat feeling which had been there for 6 weeks.

Since then, for the past few days, I've now noticed discomfort in my chest when swallowing food.

One user kindly replied before and suggested it was globus, but I can't help but now worry about the fact that as it's gotten worse/has seemingly spread, that it's cancer. Awaiting NHS ent appointment. God knows when that will be.

This is taking over my life for gods sake. I just want to feel normal again.

Re: Getting worse - cancer? Globus?

A fairly common cause of the globus sensation is acid reflux - which you can have even if you don't have obvious 'heartburn' or indigestion symptoms. The acid can still travel up your throat and irritate it, creating a lump sensation. Acid reflux can also cause chest pain and discomfort in that area while eating. And a common cause of acid reflux (or at least, something that makes it worse) is stress/anxiety. It might be worth trying some over the counter anti-acid type medications (Gaviscon / Zantac) to see if they help while you're waiting to get checked out.

hi there, when my globus is bad, my chest feels tight and painful too, it feels horrible at the moment. try not to worry too much, I think globus sensation and chest tightness go hand in hand. and like emlica said, try some ant acids, they may help. x

Thanks for the replies both of you. Very kind indeed. I read somewhere that lumps in this area are usually not cancer and can be a multitude of other things, so I take comfort in that. Just frustrating while I wait as I'm sure others can appreciate.

Has anyone had similar symptoms/same/worse and had them clear up? Or had them finally go away eventually? Keen to know!!

This forum isn't half as busy as I expected it would be!

I think it depends what you post about, I think most people tend to post in the main health anxiety bit, so unfortunately bits like this seem to get overlooked.x

I wouldn't jump to conclusions and think it's cancer, because I've experienced exactly this and It was a symptom of anxiety - Globus

Ex-sufferer of anxiety and panic disorder, I am willing to help anyone, so feel free and ask for help

Pulled this from the 'symptoms' page.

"Often one of the first symptoms of anxiety. People complain of feeling as though they will choke or being strangled. In reality its not nearly so dramatic - the muscles in the throat contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are. You also get a dry mouth and it can feel like you cannot drink but you can.
    You feel as though there is something stuck in your throat or sometimes feel there is a lump in your throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a tightness in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow. Sometimes this feeling can lead you to think that you may suffocate or get something stuck in your throat."

I actually suffer from this all the time. My throat always flares up when I am under stress, so my tonsils get swollen and I feel like there is a lump in my throat and I get a sore throat/chest often too. For me it is just my body's natural reaction to stress. It may be that this happens for you as well.

I wouldn't expect it to be cancer, it sounds to me more like a stress/anxiety response or possibly a throat infection.

Hopefully you'll be able to see an ENT soon and get some reassurance and relief.

Thread Information