Thread: Globus

Globus

Hello. this is my first post here and i really should not be worrying but this is my story as it is.

I have had a feeling of something small being stuck in my throat for about three months or so and i ahve been VERY worried about this. i have been thinking i have had something bad that was producing a lump feeling. i cant even vbring myself to type what i thought it was. anyway, i went to the doctors and they looked in my mouth and felt my neck and said it was probably a globus, which i believe is the name for a feeling of something being in the throat when there isnt anything there at all. they said it was not dangerous but i am now worried that there might have been something further down the throat that they could not see. i know that i should be satisfied with what the doctor said but there is a little voice in my head that keeps saying what if they missed something. the feeling in my throat isnt getting any worse but it doesnt seem to be getting any better and it should by by now shouldnt it?????

help, im really scared and i dont know if i should be. or am i over reacting especially as the doctor has said it is harmless. i have always been a worrier and i really dont know which way to go with this.

Hi,

This is really common amongst anxiety sufferers. I'm sure one of the moderators will post you a load of links to other similar topics on the board!
    I've had this thing a few times. Each time it's lasted for at least a few months. Do you ever notice it going away? i.e. when you're having fun or your mind is occupied, I often found it went away when i was with friends (usually when i went out for a drink or whatever). I also found that when i woke up first thing in the morning i didn't feel it immediately and then as soon as i thought about it or moved my head, there it was again! It's a trick of your mind. I remember reading somewhere that other more sinister diseases rarely present with the feeling of a lump in the throat, i.e. if you really had a growth of some sort you wouldn't feel it.
    Even now, while i've been typing I can feel a lump in my throat just from thinking about it! It just shows how powerful the mind-body connection is. Many people will get this symptom occasionally, the difference with us anxiety sufferers is that we assume it's a symptom of some terrible life-threatening disease and this just perpetuates the feeling so that where with most people the feeling would just pass within a few hours, with us it can continue for months!

Hope this helps a bit.

cheers

Tom

Thread Information