Hi,

My GP put me on 10mg of Citalopram 2 weeks ago, within a few days I began to get symptoms for a UTI (stinging/cloudy urine etc) I am prone to these so just popped in, picked up my usual 7 day dose of Trimethoprim and started without a worry. I woke up regularly in the night with an already racing heart and would finally wake at dead on 7 feeling sick to the point of gagging for hours. The days that followed didn't get any easier and I've had exhaustion, palpatations, sickness and loose stools, hot and cold flushes and the shakes. I thought I was going mad so went back to the doctors and he prescribed me the antibiotic Cipro as the infection hadn't got better and he thought I had become immune to Trimethoprinm overt the years. Within hours of taking Cipro all the symptoms got a ten times worse and I had a full on panic attack and felt like I was having a break down.

2 weeks on and after 5 different antibiotics (Augmentin was the only one that I was ok on but apparently wasn't effective against the UTI I had) I still have the infection. After reading into this online I've realised that what I'm experiencing are infact Citalopram withdrawal symptoms, both tablets appear to be stopping the other from working and causing awful side effects. As someone who is prone to these infections I can't go through this every time I have one so have decided to keep myself off of both citalopram and all antibiotics for a few days until the cit is out of my system and I can get this infection sorted out once and for all.

I'm so suprised that there isn't more in these forums and online about the interaction of citalopram and antibiotics, or have I simply had bad luck here... if anyone else had had something similar please let me know, right now I feel like I'm going totally mad!