Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone signed off work

anyone signed off work

Hi
    Im currently signed of work as hit a bad (v.bad) time 2 months ago...had GAD for 10 yrs..this time it doesnt sem to be getting any better..
    I know some peeps will say you need to get back to work...it will help...but been so poorly couldnt do it...Im luck as have full pay etc and work is very supportive...got me CBT etc...but am so worried im not going to climb out of this one..Incresed meds arent helping and its like I just want to go back to normal..going to work relatively happy etc..
    feel verydefeated..CBT doesnt seem to be helping at the mo

I have had two bouts where I was signed off for lengthy periods, and in the end I was medically retired from teaching. Both were as a result of GAD and related stresses.

In those times I had meds and support from those around me, I had a 6 session counselling course the first time which was pretty useless. I am not sure if it was the counsellor or that I wasn't ready for it...or both!!

Currently I don't work but am fortunate to have a pension that keeps the wolves from the door. I do need to find something that will a) get me out and b) be more rewarding for me.

It sounds as if you have good levels of support around you, you have been off two months, you have plenty time for stuff to kick in. Work are being supportive, it all helps.

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

I'm not signed off and I hope not to be either - only got my meds yesterday and I WANT to get back as soon as possible

I'm lucky that I only teach part time so at least it's a little break each week that I get

I hope you manage to get back to work as soon as you feel able[^]

Hi Mooks,
    I could have written your post, or certainly the beginning of it!
    I have been signed off now for I think two months/10 weeks; I've lost count. Like yourself, I have suffered from anxiety for a big part of my life; at times more severe than others. I know when I go back to doc on Monday she is signing me off for another month.
    I felt at first like I was never getting anywhere and I thought 'this is it, i will have to give up my job etc etc' which filled me with fear and also anger, as I feel my work related stress (uneccessary stress)has contributed to this latest episode. I felt hugely guilty and do still but to a much lesser degree. However, just this morning I was asking myself
    'If I wasn't being paid sick leave, would I be working right now?' and I knew the answer to be a definite 'no'.
    That said, although I do not feel able to return in the immediate future, I am hopeful of my being able to return at some point, or the worst case scenario, re-deployed to another less stressful area. I am looking at it all with a view of 'manage the little steps before I can master the big ones'
    I have had two increases of meds and I do think the most recent is helping. I am having some ups now, not just downs but don't be surprised if on another day, you see a post here from me saying that everything seems bleak! I am coming to accept that the condition brings with it a roller coaster of emotions and that I will hit that up mood again.
    Take care and comfort in you not being alone.
    happyone

Hi mooks,

Ive been off work since aug of last year due to panic and anxiety. Ive worked for over 30 years and its the first time ive ever had a sick note.
    The guilt i felt at being off work and being on incapacity benefit was terrible.
    However im getting my confidence back now and in the last 2 weeks have managed to visit a couple of clients i used to look after. I was a community careworker for over 10 years dashing about all over the city then wham i had my first panic attack.
    Im hopefully going to start back work sometime in the near future.
    So mooks please dont feel defeated there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel trust me.

Take care
    LYNN xx

Hi mooks,
    I am off work at the moment and have been off now for 11 weeks.
    Just started to see a mental health worker re my anxiety and I hope to get back to work maybe after Xmas. I am a resident warden and (supposed to) look after the welfare of 29 elderly people living in sheltered accomodation. I just feel at the moment that I can only just look after me, so working is not an option. I did feel guilty at first but now realize that I am ill and doing everything I can to get myself well again (including CBT) so work will just have to wait for me!
    You look after yourself - work will still be there when you are feeling able to get back to it. Try not to look on it as defeat - just a time in your life when you need to concentrate on yourself and getting well again. You will get there!
    Sending you a huge hug & look after yourself,
    Diane

I've been off since September, then went back for a week and had to leave again - been off since. Gotta go back to the docs on Thursday and see what they say. I know I cant go back yet as I can barely get to the shop five minutes away never mind do a day there.

thanks Diane you are so right...The guilt from work is bad and then you worry the longer you're off how are people going to be with you when you go back. I know some people say the longer your off the harder it is to return etc...but Im not well enough to work at the mo..
    I just want to get better and have managed to shout loud and get as much help as possible...Im 35 now and have finally had enough of this illness, Im not looking to be cured but Im not willing to spend another 10 years of it. So I agree with you work will have to wait while I get myself better

I try to look at it like that, but its hard, especially when you have so called friends telling you what peoples opinions are of why you are off etc - that always gives me something else to worry about!

I've been signed off for anxiety on 4 different occasions. I am a teacher and love my job and hate when I am off. I always think I will never go back and that this time the anxiety will stay forever! However, it does go - eventually and I go back to work. The last time I was signed off I went back gradually. I wanted to just get back to it but realise now that I did the right thing in taking it slowly. It's funny though - if I was signed off with a broken arm I wouldn't mind at all! I think it's because with anxiety I feel so bad and fearful all the time that you can't just rest and make the most of it - you just want to get back to normal!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information