Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tightness in upper back and neck

Tightness in upper back and neck

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this? I have so much tightness in my back, between shoulder blades and in my neck. It never goes away even with massage. I know it sounds weird but I really think it affects my breathing. I know tight muscles can keep you from getting deep breaths. I feel like I can't expand my chest enough to get a FULL breath. Sometimes when I'm out driving the car I feel kind of "off" in the head. Not really dizzy, just like I'm not breathing deeply enough and I feel so bad. I often pull over into a parking lot and lay down in the car. It's the only time that brings relief. I feel at time that I just don't want to hold my head up unsupported. Does anybody else feel this way?

Re: Tightness in upper back and neck

I Get That Alot Mine Is Stress Could Yours Be Also....we Carry So Much Stress And Are Upper Body Tightens Up............linda

Yes, I'm sure stress has a lot to do with it. I've been told I have a reserve curve in my neck by the chiropractors. I know a lot of people have that but don't have the stiffness like I do. I'm sure my anxiety adds a lot to it. I also feel a "pulling" down into my arms. Anyone feel that? My shoulders also "pop" alot. My muscles are just tight all over my entire body I think. I hate feeling "anxious" when I'm driving. I'm really not afraid of the driving part if you know what I mean, it just seems like when I am moving my head around checking traffic and everything I just feel "off" in the head and feel like maybe I'm not breathing right. If I lie down on my side with a little pillow under my neck then I feel pretty normal. Does that make sense to anybody? Does anyone think that tight neck and shoulders can actually be causing me to feel anxious and affect my breathing?

Hi ro44
    I can relate to what you are saying with the stiff neck and shoulders, I've had years of breathing incorrectly and my muscles have suffered because of it, I had intense deep muscle massages for months plus assistance with correcting poor posture, I still struggle on a daily basis with my breathing and have stiff neck and shoulders most of the time, I have to constantly think about how I'm sitting/lying etc. One thing that helped me a lot was a book entitled 'Hyperventilation Syndrome' by Dinah Bradley, it's an excellent book and explains all about breathing and how we can overcome breathing pattern disorders and the effect it can have on the body.
    HTH
    D

Hi I get this as well, i think it is from working on the computer for long periods, when my shoulders are really bad, it can even make me feel queasy, have tried all sorts of therapies, and someone has recommended shiatsu, am going next week so will let you know if it helps

Dido, If you read all my post in the last 3 years you will find this is my common problem. It is tension and you can have massage and accupuncture but if we don't release the stress it never leaves. Deep breathing will help once you lay flat and try slowly expanding for about 10 minutes.

No Worries!

Hi,

This is why I suffer from chronic pain. I have never heard of anyone else describe having trouble holding their head up like I do though. Nice to hear someone else having that trouble too. I also pop my shoulders alot and neck etc. Sometimes I freeze up and can't even move my head from side to side. Deep massages make me worse though. If anyone can suggest something that really helps I would love to know it. I will try the deep breathing. Thanks.

Laura

Hey me too - am sat at the computer now with a pounding headache caused by tense shoulders and tense neck muscles so now feel dizzy and horrible - Will try some lavendar oil neck massage when I get home - a bit messy to try at my desk in the estate agents front office - dont think customeres would approve !!!! Wenjoy x

I cant believe that so many of you have this. I have sufferred with this for years and just recently has got worse, the pain is so bad some days I feel like crying. I am sure this is tension, mine is usually worse in the evenings .

i Get that pain too. i work in mail sorting office. I get it so bad when im sorting. I struggle to breath the pain shoots right across my shoulders. It does seem to be worse if ur sitting at chair for long period of time and leaning forward.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information