Thread: Dealing With mY Globus Again

Dealing With mY Globus Again

hey all, i know there have been lots of threads on this problem but if im really honest i just wanted to write this down for myself to see what im saying and to see if some people have had similar experiences.
    i've been dealing with globus for 7 months now, my main cause was i think my marraige problems that set it off, the doctor said i was showing all anxiety symptoms and what i had to do to try and control it and what not. i have been to see an ENT doctor, had a camara put up my nose and down my throat, and he couldn't find anything at all, had every blood test under the sun and they all came back clear, so i know there is nothing bad wrong with me but yet i am still dealing with globus and the effect it has is so upsetting for me. none of my friends and family really understand, all i get from them is " it's all in your head " which is fine and all but not very comforting. i am now going thru a divorce, which is not helping me at all, also in a new relationship so my head is really all over the place.
    Some days my globus is not that bad and i can deal with it, and some days its so bad i really don't want to talk. then i get a new symptom and think " hang on, not had this before " and start stressing over it. grrrr it's so annoying. like today, got up felt fine, went into town then on the way home my throat felt like i couldn't swallow properly, all the top of my mouth was sore like i had burn't it on something, yet i know i haven't, then the back of my mouth feels like it sgot dirt in it? weird. the other day i felt like i couldn't talk properly, as if my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth y'know? and when i was talking it felt like i was gonna choke so had to keep clearing my throat and swallowing. man alive it drives me crazy. i know that it can't hurt me in anyway, but i just really never knew that stress and anxiety can have such a bad physical effect on you, i mean i've been stressed before in the past but never got like this. I'm on the waiting list for CBT , i've already had a phone consultation with a therapist, and she told me i need physchodynamic therapy ( think thats how you spell it), but the waiting list is up to 5 months. so in that time im just trying to deal with all this the best way i can.
    sorry to go on, and if i have posted this and someone else has said the same thing then im sorry, im not very good at writing on forums and stuff, so just see a header and post on it.

Re: Dealing With mY Globus Again

Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you are suffering with this horrible condition. I have had it since Feb this year and its been driving me crazy, not to mention worrying me stupid. I have been to the docs who said it is just probably this globus thing but offered to refer me for an endoscopy, (sp?), but I chickened out as I didnt like the idea of it and I thought it would just go but it hasnt really. I am now on anti d's which hasnt resolved the condition and I am worried so think I might have to do the camera thing just to put my mind at rest. Mine seemed to start after a bad bought of tonsilitis, but I lost my dad just over a year ago and it really knocked me for six, my HA went through the roof. Have you been put on any medication for your stress, just wondered if so, has it made any difference to your throat problem. I cant tell to be honest, I do feel better in myself, but the throat thing seems to come and go, but I dont know whether it does go or whether it is always there and sometimes I just dont register it!? I know some days it is really bad, like Im being strangled from the inside and it really aches, and nothing seems to releive it, ive tried drinking warm and cold drinks, deep breathing, meditation, taking supplements, (magnesium is supposed to be a muscle relaxant), but nothing seems to work, then it seems to pass off, and as you say, I can be fine in the morning then it just seems to come on for no reason!?!? Sometimes I feel like when Im talking I sound like one of the chipmunks, like that my throat is hollow and is making my voice high, its really weird.
    Please let me know how you get on and if you find anything which brings relief, I feel like the only one that has this :-(

hey there, sorry to hear you are suffering from this condition too. its such a horrible thing to deal with.
    my doctor perscribed me lots of different anti d's, but i have never taken them, i wanted to get through this without resorting to pills, they also gave me diazapam to relax me but a really low dose just 2mg but again i haven't took them either, worried that i might go all funny with them.
    i'm having trouble sleeping at the moment too, so its just a neverending circle all the time.
    i went back to my doctors last week cos my globus is bad again, convinced that there is something stuck there, but she told me that its just my anxiety, and that the more i focus on it the more im feeding the anxiety and making it worse. so easy to say but when your at home with nothing to do and all you can do is feel this weird throat feeling its hard not to focus on it.
    i do find tho that when i eat or drink i can't feel a thing so i know whats causing the problem, but its telling yourself to calm down and relax which i find hard. maybe i should try the diazapam to calm me but i have so many worrys about taking it.
    but your not alone in this, i didn't realise how commom this was till i came on here, as i felt the same as you thinking i was the only one who had this but now i know that lots of people suffer from it helps in a strange way.

have you tried singing?

Hi,
    Im still here, actually Id forgot id posted this!!!
    Wewantfun, have you tried the diazepam yet?? I used to take the odd one of these many years ago and it is just the best drug ever in my opinion. I am really funny about taking stuff, I have this fear of feeling drugged and out of it, but diazepam doesnt have any affect like this, just makes me feel REALLY relaxed, like I dont have any worries at all, unfortunately my gp wont prescribe them. I am still suffering, more than ever and it is really worrying me, to the point that I think about it all the time. Its now been 10 months and I know I will have to bite the bullet and have the endescopy but I am really scared. I just wish I could have a day when I could think its not so bad today, but its always there. The only other thing I have is that I hold a lot of tension in my jaw, it always feels tense, I can feel the tension go right up into my temple and head and get these nagging dull aches in my head so Im trying to think that its all related to the throat problem.
    Springblossom, yes I do sing, quite a lot, I love to belt out a tune in the car, cant say it helps though, only with how I feel, the lump is still there.
    Has anybody else had this problem for as long as me?? Id love some reasurrance!
    Thanks in advance.

hey there, yeah imstill going thru it, my lump in throat thing went off for about a month and half, cos i wasn't focusing on it, been dealing with a tooth abcess instead which was causing so much pain. but now that is being sorted my globus is back with a vengence.
    constnt feeling of something stuck, feels sharp sometimes and making my throat slightly sore.
    i got amiltryptline to take 10mg, but not started that yet, and still not touched the diazapam, still worried about taking them.
    one day this will all go, but until then its just one big great annoyance.
    i think i may name it something different, as im always telling it to go! lol x

Hi,

Well, I bit the bullet and went to see my gp about my throat problem. I have also been suffering from various other symptoms such as weight gain and tiredness, so he sent me for a load of blood work to check my thyroid function plus a load of other stuff, and booked me in for an endoscopy. The blood tests all came back normal, to my huge releif as I was sure they would find something untowards! But before I went for the camera, a friend of my mums saw me buying some soya milk and told me that she had tried it and it gave her these really bad throat problems!!!!! So I googled soya and discovered it is one of the top 10 allergy foods. Now, funnily enough, I gave up cows milk early last year in an attempt to resolve another health symptom I have, (I have a list of stuff wrong with me!! LOL), and replaced it with soya milk, and yoghurts which is when the throat problem began. So, I stopped the soya, and guess what, the throat problem went! I layed off it for a week, then tried some on my cereal, and within hours, my throat started playing up! That was about 3 weeks ago and Ive been so much better. I do still get some tightness round there when Im tense, but then I get it round my jaw, which I think is caused by TMJ, but its nothing like I had. I even cancelled my endoscopy I dont know why I never made the connection with soya before! Anyway, it may be something you could all look into, Im not saying it will be the case for everyone, but if it could help someone else, obviously, not just soya, it could be anything, wheat, dairy, gluten, there are so many allergens, and sometimes you can just develope one when you have been fine before, especially when you under stress.
    I hope you all feel better soon and find some relief from your throat problems.

Thread Information