Thread: Hurt my back in thoracic area left side and have pain under left rib

Hurt my back in thoracic area left side and have pain under left rib

a week ago I hurt my back at lower end of ribs and everytime I move wrong way i get a savage pain in my back and into left side of my ribs. I have done this before a few eyars ago on right side and it is agony until it mends itself - osteo told me it is caused by a facet joint moving out of line slightly.

anyway I also have a constant horrible ache under my left rib and on and off during the day I am getting bad nerve type pains under left rib and just left of centre at waist level.

These pains don't come at same time as the savage back pain that stops me in my tracks as I only get that if I move wrong.

MY Gp says the under rib pain is coming from my back injury but I am freaking out that it is from my stomach as I have been burping constantly and sometimes it seems as if when I first eat and the mouthful lands in my stomach I get the sharp pain but it goes way as I continue eating.

I have recently had bowel tests incl sigmoidoscpy and 3 wks ago colonsocoy and all normal so diagnosed with ibs . I had my appendix removed 6 mths ago because of abdominal pain and it was normal and surgeon had good look at everyting else including small bowel and all normal - hence the bowel tests and ibs diagnosis.

I last had endoscoy three and half years ago and I am desperate to ask my dr to send me for another one but have had so many tests recently I am sure she will roll her eyes and refuse.

Does anyone get constant burping with anxiety - I don't normally burp but I am so stressed about this constant ache/pains. I am sure the severe anxiety is not helping my back injury either.

Help what do I do

Re: Hurt my back in thoracic area left side and have pain under left rib

Burping - oh yes I can relate to that.

It is cos we swallow air cos we don't breathe correctly.

I did it constantly recently until Lisa told me about swallowing air and yes she is right - once you breathe right it goes away!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

My partner put his back out a week ago, and he is suffering alot of pain with it. Fortunately he doesnt suffer with anxiety, so for him its just..."back went, hence pain". He would never start to examine all aspects of the pain and the other ares it might affect, because there is a reason for the pain so he just accepts it until it goes away again. I myself managed to pull muscles around my ribs doing yoga a few years ago...how sad is that and the pain under my ribs and when i breathed was really bad and went on for quite some time. But I knew why so i accepted it.

Yes the burping can come from anxiety, its a very common symptom as anious people tend to swallow more air.

Cathy xxx

HI
    I have just posted a message about my pains in my left rib, I am not sure what it is, I have neck probs and the doc told me a while ago its the nerve endings but I am not convinced and am worrying about all sorts.
    The pain comes and goes and isn't when I do anything it is just as and when.
    I worry about stomach things and ulcer but I googled and it didn't really sound like it.
    I am hoping its anxiety and tension but who knows?

Well I have pain in the same area. When I stretch to the side I can feel the pull in my back and in the front under my ribs. It must be muscular but I have had it for ages. I was told it was my latisimus dorsi muscle.

Thanks everyone. I do have a very damaged spine and also ibs amongst a few other genuine chronic medical problems but because of the health anxiety i cannot accept that my pain and symptoms can be from these non life threatening conditions, I of course have to look and fit the symptoms to something dangerous.

I am so fed up of invasive medical tests - it seems no matter how many tests I have my symptoms get worse which makes me even more convinced that there is something they have missed - I beg for more tests and on and on it goes. Sounds familiar I suppose.

I didn't even know I had a latisimus dorsi muscle

i suffered really intense panic attacks for a couple of years to which i was eventually hospitilised for. I was constantly burping and bringing up wind and the threads above are completely right. Because we take on so much air when we are panicking or anxious this makes us bring up wind. It really is very common and normal. i currently have discomfort in my left rib and pain in my left thigh and right arm. have totally convinced myself its lung cancer (i am a smoker) ive managed to find all my symptoms in every lung cancer site ive been to. yep i know shouldnt google. although i dont have the common symptoms like cough, coughing up blood or breathlesness

Thread Information