Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 people in 6 months dying from sudden death that I know - I can't cope

2 people in 6 months dying from sudden death that I know - I can't cope

Firstly sorry if this triggers anyone but its something I am finding extremely difficult at the moment and setting off my health anxiety....

6 months ago I lost a close friend of mine due to sudden death, she was walking her dog and then just dropped dead and we still don't know why. She was only 42

I then found out yesterday that an old work colleague was found dead in his hotel yesterday morning.... He was only 36...

I have a fear of death and especially sudden death and just don't know how people cope with it? I just get these horrible thoughts that when people say "you never think it will happen to you" well it's happening to people close to me and I'm pretty sure they didn't think it would happen to them!!

It makes me angry, upset and confused.... Just the fact that they had no idea it was coming seriously freaks me out and it's making my anxiety so bad :(

If anyone had any settling advice it would be much appreciated

Re: 2 people in 6 months dying from sudden death that I know - I can't cope

Why do you fear death, it isn't death you fear but being cheated of life. After death you won't even know you lived so it won't matter. Just live life and enjoy it. Believe me when you get old the grim reaper will be your friend. Enjoy life while you have it. Too soon it will be gone.

Hi Fedup,

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend and coworker.

I personally struggle a lot with this too; while I'm sure that's not much consolation for you, you're not alone. Last night I had a dream that I died in my sleep and it set off all the fears that I'd quelled once again.

I can offer you this- most people don't have sudden deaths. They will either be due to underlying, long-lasting conditions, accidents etc. By coincidence you've known it to happen to two people you knew closely within 6 months and this is probably making it seem like a common occurrence. But it really isn't, outside of the elderly.

I don't know your history but as you have HA it wouldn't be unrealistic to assume that you've had some tests done to rule out pathophysiological causes of your anxiety. Such tests will also detect that vast majority of conditions capable of causing sudden death in an otherwise healthy person.

Hopefully this gives you some relief. It's not possible to know 100% whether or not something like this will happen, but you'll have a better idea than most people who don't think about it at all. Try and make the most of every day and know that your anxiety is making this feel much more threatening than it probably is.

All the best

You could be in a traffic accident tomorrow or a plethora of unknown random circumstances that could end your life.

Will you chose to focus on the negative or the positive?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

When all four of my grandparents died at ripe old ages, all of them expressed they were ready or wanted to go beforehand. As odd as that might sound, it's a natural part of life that they had simply reached.

If it doesn't happen in old age I'd much rather it's sudden and that I don't know about it. That way there's nothing to fear.

At 60, I notice that I am physically just not able to do things that I was able to do a decade or so. I am working and living in Japan, surrounded by an active but aging society - many old people with mobility problems. So living forever is not really such an attractive option.

As pointed out, sudden, unexpected death that doesn't come from an accident is very rare. I'm getting out of my knowledge area here, but my impression is that it is usually due to some cardiovascular incident - the best we can all do there is be active with a healthy lifestyle. Even so, things will happen, but to very, very few people.

And as people say, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so make the most of today.

Well I know this fear so well, my brother died suddenly in 1994 and it scared me for years , but my doctor said this happens to only 1 in every 10 million people . It still causes me anxiety now .

Thanks for the support guys...

The problem is I have a massive fear of death which completely overwhelms me...
    But I understand what you are all saying, you can never tell what will happen or when so I need to appreciate what happens around me and those around me.

I have had ecgs and MRIs so hoping that will help my head

I just need to think positvly and move onwards and upwards! Thanks

I can relate to this completely.

This is the thing i have most trouble getting out of my thoughts, that i will die young. Or, that my partner or a family member will die suddenly. It's a horrible negative thought.
    I'm lucky that my partner is such a positive person, and he talks a lot of sense when in the past I've been hung up on it.

Before my grandfather passed he said he was ready to go now, and so has my gran who is now 94. I don't understand it obviously as i am still very young and with death being a big fear could never imagine being ready to leave the world and everyone behind.

The thought that i will die suddenly with no warning has plagued my mind for so long, my first thought of it was probably around 8 years ago, i'm still here now and perfectly fine! I don't want to waste my life fearing something that will probably never happen and i have no control over anyway. I used to try and control it, don't go certain places and not do certain things in case i die.

Quote Originally Posted by fedup36 View Post
    Thanks for the support guys...

The problem is I have a massive fear of death which completely overwhelms me...
    But I understand what you are all saying, you can never tell what will happen or when so I need to appreciate what happens around me and those around me.

I have had ecgs and MRIs so hoping that will help my head

I just need to think positvly and move onwards and upwards! Thanks
    I dont' fear death its not knowing how i will die i don't want to suffer , but when i became a Christian (not preaching just my personal testimony) my fear of death went because as a Christian i now have the assurance of eternal with Jesus when i do eventually die and that is really comforting .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information