Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloated feeling, not butterflies or churning

Bloated feeling, not butterflies or churning

My first post of many I would think, Hello to you all.

I'm into my 9th week of what I can describe as minor panic attacks. I can only recall two major attacks (No one has had an attack like this type of feeling). I also had a fearful experience when driving to work and then a horrendous journey back. Since I had these two, not so major but fearful attacks in my car I did start to get very uncomfotable and tense when doing any driving. The only driving I was able todo was at night (sounded abit odd to me as driving tends to be more effort at night) and to areas I knew well, since becoming slightly better Iam able to drive alittle during the day but I need a purpose to drive, I can't just get in and drive for the sake of it or I start to get uncomfortable. I work 30 miles from home and have been driving without any accidents or problems. Two things I did notice when driving that seem to also affect me anytime is this bloatedness, it isn't what I remember of butterflies or churning with my stomach. It's very strange and it is similar to the effect a large meal has, this has made me not eat as much as I usually would and often a small meal can lead to this bloatedness and then an uncomfortable period of time. Leading to problems controlling my breathing (I have to physically remember to breathe).

Also if I may speak of my fears. I have had fearful moments when talking to people, this can be with family, friends or strangers. This usually ends up in a shortness of breath and I'm unable to finish a sentence due to this. I have become alittle withdrawn because of the effect and what I can call abit anti-social ie not spending time with my family, friends. I must add that I have no embarrassment letting people know that Iam currently dealing with attacks of panic.

Reading back I chuckled to myself as I did start with the intention of wanting to ask advice on this bloated feeling and have whisked through afew of my problems. I need to add that I was given Inderal la by my doctor 1x80mg per day and I'm really not sure if the medication has helped me. When I think of Beta Blockers it makes me feel like I'm suppressing my natural heart rate which in turn makes me worry. Lastly, I remember back to having what the doctor called very minor attacks of panic when lying in bed trying to get to sleep, which was similar to the feeling you get as you nod off but jump awake. In my case I was gasping for breath as I startled awake. Since then I have problems getting to sleep and find myself staying awake until the early hours. I know this cannot be any good for me.

Any help in my ever increasing list will be so very welcome. (You must have stamina to get through all this)

Steve

Hi Steve - and welcome.

The bloating, well I would put that down to nervous gas. Have you tried sucking an indigestion tablet or deflatine? It might help to calm it down a little bit.

The fear of speaking in public is a "normal" part of panic.
    I wouldn't even type on the forum for fear of looking like an even bigger spanner than I do now!
    I used to get my husband to type things and ask questions for me.
    This too will get better with time. I think we worry that what comes out of our mouths isn't the same as what we are thinking, and we wonder if we make sense.

The sleep thing - that's horrible isn't it?
    I would never go to bed as I was too frightened.
    I now have a small nightlight and a radio.

The nightlight is just bright enough to take the edge off the darkness, without stopping others from getting to sleep. The radio is tuned to a talk radio station and is just loud enough for me to hear. As the talking is friendly it helps you to feel you are not alone and gives your brain something to keep it busy so that you can fall asleep.

Good luck !

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Hiya Steve,

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will find loads of advice and support here.

I would have to agree with Liz on the bloated feeling. I am sure it is just "NERVOUS" gas. I would also agree with her treatment. Why not try some indigestion tablets and let us know how you get on .

I personally don`t think I have ever had a problem talking to people, but the sleep thing I have experienced and it is terrible is`nt it?

I went for almost a straight year of not sleeping in my bed with my husband and instead slept in my daughters extra bed in her room. As I felt safer there for some reason. Maybe because it was my bed that I had the first attack in this past epoisode after years of not having any attacks at all.

Funny how we can go for years without them and have them hit us blindside out of nowhere.

Liz.... Glad that you have found something to help you sleep peacefully . I now use the TV for light and voices :-D.

I guess we all have our tools ey? LOL......

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Steve ,

Tonic water !! Its more carbonated and thus produces an instant big burp and away go those feelings.

As Liz says we make gas in our stomach when we're even a bit nervous and it needs some help to bring it up .

As for the breathing thing when talking, when we're aware or nevous we talk quicker and try to get more words in each breathful.

I don't think it's really shortness of breath - more like timing of breaths between words. Try reading aloud and see if you're pausing to breathe enough . Record yourself maybe !

Also when nervous our lungs get physically bigger so need more air to fill them - giving the impression of puffiness.

Let us know how you get on

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thanks for the info. Meg.

Even though this was not my post. The information is helpful to all .

I was not aware of the Tonic Water help and the fact that our lungs get bigger when nervous. Good things to know!! :-D

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Well you certainly made me feel very welcome, thank you for that.

I like the tonic water idea, actually just finished a meal and had none of the bloatedness I was having before. This will be my 2nd time this has occured.

I've enjoyed a good day today even going 45 miles to visit a friend and again not one uncomfortable moment. Isn't life great when you feel your making progress.

Steve

Hi Steve

Welcome to the site. Looks like you have had some great advice already and not much more I can add.

With regard to driving then this is/was a problem of mine but I am close to overcoming it now. Take a look at the coping page on the website as they are some great tips for driving.

We all look forward to hearing more from you.

Nicola

Good on you Steve for having a good day today, and making a drive out to visit a friend .

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad that you are feeling better today.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

One suggestion I have with the sleep thing is if your tv has a sleep function use it. I have trouble sleeping sometimes so I set the sleep function to turn the tv off in an hour and then try to fall asleep with the tv on. I know the feeling of getting the symptoms right when you're going to sleep. Those symptoms won't last forever. I use to have them nightly and now they aren't so prevalent.

Best

Chris

Hiya Steve,

Welcome to the site!

Well done on your progress yesterday, long may it continue!

Kate x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information