Thread: Career change & CV

Career change & CV

Hi

Need some advice pls!!???

I have not worked for the last 6 months due to anxiety & depression. I don't get sick pay but have received SSP. I am gradually improving and am trying hard to look to the future & sort my life out! One of the decisions I've made is to change my job, I need to look for something less stressful with much shorter hours; for the sake of my mental & physical health.
    My question is; what do I put on my CV? I feel like I should be honest but its not going to look good to put I've been off sick-I don't feel I can lie-I am still technically employed at the mo but I haven't been there for 6 months! Someone suggested I should put I've had a career break, but can a future employer find out I've been off sick?

I'm worried & would be grateful for any advice/suggestions

Re: Career change & CV

Hi Velma

It's a tricky one. If you go for another job, they often want a reference from your most recent employer. If I were you I would just try and muddy the waters a little - say you took a career break as you had other pressing issues to deal with or something. If you care for a sick relative or have children's issues or anything like that which has been or could have been a factor in your anxiety or depression, it is reasonable to have time out from work to deal with a crisis caused by that, so these kind of situations can and should be mentioned.

I think it is best to try and have some honesty, but not to the point where you just set the alarm bells ringing and you feel you may as well have gone in with a big sign saying 'high risk' on it. It is just getting the balance right.

Tyke

Re: Career change & CV

Thank you so much for your reply Tyke, much appreciated

Thread Information