Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared these intrusive thoughts will never go away.

Re: Scared these intrusive thoughts will never go away.

It is a series of short meditations that focus on the here and now!! U focus on the breath and physical sensations that arise and desolate. U also allow all your thoughts good and bad to come and go, you can greet them and then go back to your breathing.

It is very effective but does take some time and effort on your part.

There is quite abit of information on the Internet but I got a book called 'Mindfulness- a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world' by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. This book has a CD included and focuses on an 8 week programme. I started to feel better after 3 weeks an didn't finish the program! I have been feeling anxious and my intrusive thought come back now and then so I am going to start the program again and see it through to the end this time.

Liked the " sukarno" , i thought it was like a new " thang" .

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Intrusive thoughts are so nasty and the more i try to resist them the more they are there. At the moment its doing things in " three's" and god does it take me a long time to finish the washing up clanging the plates away as i count to three . Better then three thousand i suppose.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I appreciate all of the replies more than you'll know.
    I feel better these past 2 days. I still think of this awful thought *constantly*, but I'm able to look at it more objectively rather then let my mind wander into the dark place I was in when I first posted this.
    I told some family members a little about the thoughts and they were able to ease my mind a little bit (although they think I'm completely nuts now). I also wrote in my journal, which was very stressful, but it helped me to get my thoughts out there. It was easier to sort through everything going on in my mind and see the truth of everything, in a way.
    I've always kept a journal where I write when I'm depressed/anxious/angry/etc., but I was fearful of writing about this intrusive thought. It's just so scary to even think about.. but it did help me.
    My next step is going to see a doctor. I have a ridiculous fear of doctors and haven't been in YEARS, so this will be a huge step for me. I'm afraid of there being something wrong with me, but I already know there is, I guess. And I'm scared of actually talking about my problem.. I'm scared they'll think I'm just crazy, or worse - they'll think I'm actually capable to acting on this disturbing thought.
    I don't know if I'll ever get the courage to make an appointment :S

When you went to see a doctor about your intrusive, obsessive thoughts, how did the appointment go? Did you have to tell them what your thoughts were?
    I just don't know what to expect.

Thank you all again for the replies and kind words. I am so glad I found this little forum

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scared_11 View Post
    It is a series of short meditations that focus on the here and now!! U focus on the breath and physical sensations that arise and desolate. U also allow all your thoughts good and bad to come and go, you can greet them and then go back to your breathing.

It is very effective but does take some time and effort on your part.

There is quite abit of information on the Internet but I got a book called 'Mindfulness- a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world' by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. This book has a CD included and focuses on an 8 week programme. I started to feel better after 3 weeks an didn't finish the program! I have been feeling anxious and my intrusive thought come back now and then so I am going to start the program again and see it through to the end this time.
    I'm definitely going to be looking into this! Thanks.

Well I suffer from anxiety so I got meds and therapy for that. I have mentioned the thoughts to my therapist so she recommended CBT which I am starting very soon as well as relaxation and anxiety management.

You should definately see a doctor so you can see a therapist because this thought will go away on its own as I have had bad ones which eventually went but they come back of to don't do anything about them.

You just have to say you are having upsetting thoughts that you can't cope with but you don't have to say what they are a such.

I find talking to people helps and I dont care if they thinks Im nuts anymore because i know Im not!! Hope you start to feel better soon xx

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

I've just noticed you live in America so I don't know how your healthcare works. Maybe you can go straight to a therapist and skip the doctor?

Hi RB and hope you are well.
    You'll never shock a doc or a shrink, they've heard it all before. They wont judge you or think you're crazy or lock you up, they're there to help. If it makes you feel better, ask for a lady doc.
    Regards, WW

I found this information on a previous thread these are thoughts most people think about but us poor soles let the thought cause fear and upset us.

The most common unwanted obsession-relevant intrusive thoughts, images and impulses reported by Nonclinical subjects:

1. Did I leave heat, stove or lights on that could cause a fire?
    2. Left the door unlocked, and an intruder could be inside
    3. While driving, an impulse to run the car off the road
    4. I could get a sexually transmitted disease from touching a toilet seat or handle
    5. Even though the house is tidy, an impulse to check that absolutely everything is put away
    6. Feel sudden impulse to say something rude or insulting to a friend even though I'm not angry at him
    7. Impulse to say something rude or insulting to a stranger
    8. While driving, the impulse to swerve the car into oncoming traffic
    9. The thought of having sex in a public place
    10. The thought of having sex with an authority figure (eg. minister, boss, teacher)
    11. While driving the thought of running over pedestrians or animals
    12. When talking to people, intrusive thoughts of their being naked
    13. Impulse to indecently expose myself by lifting my skirt or slipping down my pants
    14. Impulse to masturbate in public
    15. When I see a sharp knife, the thought of slitting my wrist or throat
    16. When in a public place, the thoughts of becoming dirty or contaminated from touching doorknobs

Data from Purdon and Clark (1993) and Byers et al (1998).

Cited inL 'Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy for OCD' by David A. Clark. 2004. The Guilford Press.

I currently have 3 and 15 type thoughts and this is supposedly OCD free people having these thoughts. I have also seen sexual ones relatin to family, children on these types of lists too. Humans are inquisitive and unfortunately we are so shocked by these thoughts they scare us. I hope this helps. It has helped me a but while I wait for treatment. Xxx

Hi RB263,
    It's important to bear in mind that everyone experiences distressing intrusive thoughts to some extent or another, including those who don't suffer from OCD. However, what differentiates the OCD sufferer from the non OCD sufferer is their reaction to the thought. While the non-OCD sufferer finds the thought unpleasant, they are able to brush it off easily, while the OCD sufferer starts worrying about it's significance and what it means about them as a person. The intrusive thoughts often take as their subject whatever it is we fear the most - Amanda mentions her fears of harming her little boy. Common subject matters include causing harm to those we love the most and carrying out sexual acts against children. OCD sufferers are usually ultra-caring, responsible people and it is widely acknowledged that they never act on their thoughts. I can tell you've got a strong conscience by the fact that you're worrying about why the thought isn't causing you as much distress as you feel it should. However, that doesn't stop the nasty little voice in your head saying, "Ah, but what if....." The problem is that OCD sufferers want a 100% guarantee that they would never carry out their thoughts and it isn't possible to have 100% certainty in an uncertain world - the mind will always throw up doubts. Someone pointed out to you that the fact that you are afraid of the thought means you would never act on it but this hasn't stopped you questioning. The problem with reassuring yourself that you are a good person who would never carry out your thoughts is that it only provides you with temporary relief from your anxiety and the thoughts soon come back to haunt you.

I think part of the problem for you is your desperation to be rid of the thoughts. Don't get me wrong - it's only natural to want to get rid of distressing thoughts as soon as possible! However, if you are telling yourself you must not think the distressing thoughts, you are flagging them up as something significant and to be scared of, which means your brain is constantly looking out for them. The more you resist the thoughts, the more frequent and frightening they become. Unfortunately, we can't wipe our brains, much as I wish we could at times! If your goal is to get rid of the thoughts altogether, unfortunately you'll be doomed to failure. What you can change is the way in which you respond to your thoughts. Instead of pushing them away/trying to reassure yourself, you need to see the thoughts for what they really are - just strings of words/pictures inside your head that have no real significance. The best way to deal with intrusive thoughts is to accept them and just let them be - sounds very scary, I know and this is best done with the help of a therapist. A therapist will teach you exposure techniques, which help you confront the thoughts and the anxiety they provoke. Over time, you'll find the thoughts become a lot less frequent and they won't cause so much distress. A book I've found very useful is Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to gain control of your OCD by David Clark and Christine Purdon, which is aimed at people who experience violent, sexual or blasphemous thoughts. I've experienced intrusive thoughts myself (although of a different nature) and I really feel for you because I know how upsetting they can be. I hope you get the support you need.

I really appreciate your reply, Sarah1984. It's helped me realize some stuff.
    I've been trying to "accept" it but that is easier said than done. I think I've just been pushing it to the back of mind and ignoring it, rather than actually consciously "accepting" it. I'll feel better for a few days, then it'll come back and scare me and cause me a great deal of anxiety and doubt all over again.
    I feel like sometimes I can see it for what it really is, just a stupid, disturbing thought that my brain is obsessing over and other times, it's just completely distressing.
    I do have a very strong conscience, I always have, ever since I was little. I've been dealing with worry my whole life because of this and I didn't realize how abnormal this was until recently because I've always been that way.. it's just gotten worse lately.
    I've been thinking of seeing a therapist or a doctor, but I just don't know if I'm ready for that. It's just so scary to think of letting someone into my mind and telling them something that I am just so embarrassed and ashamed of.
    I will definitely check out that book you recommended!

Thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it

hi guys i v had this before on n off for 12 years didnt know it was pure o at the time , only just the last 6 years.
    im presently on 37.5 mg twice a day which has just been increased to twice instead of once 2 days ago.

iv got 2 kids 1 being 16 1 being 8 , i have pure o harm . too be honest its my 8 year old i hate more having them about, but i also get them about people on tv absolutley every 1 .

i flipping hate it , and it s so untrue of my feelings and as resulted in depression
    my thoughts go bit like this some 1 will offer me say a ciggarette or a sweet , and in my mind il think id sooner stab me daughter too death ext ,

or il be doing something and i think if i cant do this im gonna stab her blah blah .... it s such a crock of **** and frustrating,

so the ocd revolves around my normal every day thoughts , does this happen to any 1 else ????
    does it effect u like this talking to people n having them thoughts on this level ??

hope some 1 replies.... it either makes me anxious or really down its exhausting some days , but yet sometimes i can have the same thought s and i can ignore it( like ya suppose too do.)
    or even laugh at it .

i guess i need the mood n anxiety too level out.
    xxx

Hello,

I am very glad that you wrote and started this thread and that some have replied because it is a subject of which some find very hard to discuss. Everything you said RB263 in your first post is exactly the same thoughts I have. It made me gawp when i read because I thought my god she has written the very words from my head! Sarah's post also helped me too because how she wrote it made me think and see it as OCD.
    I have had these thoughts for 7 years now...some times I have good periods where I'll either not have bad thoughts or I can see past them and other times they hold me in their grip and it will really affect me.
    I have seen counsellor and doctors. At first I was so distressed and upset about having to tell a Dr or counsellor because I thought they'd just look at me, call the police or men in white coats and cart me away. William Wallace is right you can't say anything that will shock them. Just a few hours ago I was thinking like you, what if im not as worried as I should be? I was thinking what if I just accept the thoughts and let them be there but I start enjoying them? When im in a bad place they can really grip me, but now reading this I can see its just another angle its taken!
    Take care and please inbox me if you want to talk, I understand what you're going through and I don't judge x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information