Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching from brand name to generic and back

Re: Switching from brand name to generic and back

I was never on brand name until 3 days ago, all 3 times on APO-Sertraline. I was on generic for 8 months then tapered the first 2 times and now on generic for a year before switching to Pfizer. Since I started the brand name the side effects are back but not really as bad. I am chocking it up to the brand name being better quality and better absorbed. The only hard part is intense anxiety that last for 5 mins in the morning, not too crazy. If you’re in the USA your generics might be stronger and on par with the brand-name minus the nasty side effects. My generics we’re all different strengths and not very consistent. I’m feeling pretty good this afternoon so hopefully level by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchZero View Post
    From my symptoms I am guessing that the brand name stuff absorbs better and I am getting a bigger dose. Hopefully this levels out soon, can’t wait for it to kick in so I can be in utter bliss again!!!
    It's possible, just as it's possible to be the opposite. However, the drug itself works a certain way in terms of it's peaks and bioavailability. It may be additional things they add to boost this? But ultimately the half life of the stages won't be affected as that would be quite a material change to the drug and I think that would be a problem for licensing.

I second torch on this. The generic sertraline manufactured by lupin has given me dizziness, headaches, more anxiety than the original pfizer zolift haz. I switched over today with no side effects at all. Usually when i take sertraline in the late morning it makes me feel jittery for an hour or so. Pfizer zoloft does not do this.

Yes!!!! Can totally relate to this! There is definitely a difference between the zoloft brand and some generics.

I have been on zoloft for 12 years, and for 99.5% of that time have been completely well, anxiety free. (I have previously suffered from severe OCD and panic since childhood). Once I went to a different chemist and they gave me a generic version. I didnt think much of it, but 4 days in and I found myself relapsing. My doctor said to go back on Zoloft straight away. It took a few days to get back on track and better again!

Then about a year or so ago, Zoloft was unavailable (South Australia), so I was forced to start taking Eleva. I was actually good on Eleva for a year. Then Eleva went out of stock (So bloody annoying!!), so I went back on Zoloft for a few months. Becuase Eleva is much cheaper, and worked for me, I recently switched back to it about 2 weeks ago. And Ive been having a bit of a relapse since. I don't know if the relapse is caused by the switch, but I have my suspicions. I am wondering if while Eleva was unavailable, they have changed something in it?

Back on Zoloft now so hopefully it will settle down x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information