Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

Re: Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

I think it varies according to your needs Red. I had one years ago and had heavy sedation. My hubby had one a few years ago and was offered sedation but turned it down and was fine. Sedation does keep the anxiety to a minimum. By the way, they found nothing with me, turned out to be IBS. My hubby had some inflammation which was treated with anti ulcer medication. The majority of the time, this is the worst that they find in the absence of other symptoms.

Good luck.

Hi red

As u know i waiting on an endoscopy as well.

A few years ago I got a lung biopsy done and it was a tube passed up my nose and down into my lungs and I felt absolutely nothing. I was sedated and it was over with in about 20 minutes.

So I presume that the endoscopy will be something similar.

As you know I am a scardey cat and if you explain to the nursing staff and the doctor when you are getting your procedure done that you are anxiuous then they will do everything to make it as comfortable as possible for you.

Take care

Darkangel

I had an endoscopy/gastroscopy a couple of years ago and actually chose not be sedated and I was fine. Also cos I wasn't sedated they were able to give me the results there and then and all was normal.

I did get sedated when I had one done at the age of 18 though and that was fine too - see how you feel on the day, as you can change your mind right up to the minute (well you could at my hosp)!

True I prefer having my hair done but this was quicker, you got tea and biscuits after and it didn't cost me anything.

Love Piglet

I had an endoscopy a couple of years ago, (when I didnt suffer anxiety) they offered to sedate me rather than anaesthetise me. However I declined as it meant someone would have to be with me for 24 hours after. So I was brave and had it done without the sedation. BIG mistake wouldnt recommend it. They said it was unusual for someone to have it without sedation

Hi Red!

I had this done a couple of months ago. I was out for the procedure. It took longer for me (over 30 minutes) as they found stomach polyps (which had nothing to do with my symptoms) and removed them then and there. I felt nothing during or after - just a little whoozy from the sedation. And the polyps were thankfully benign! I did not have an ulcer (which is what we were looking for). I only had inflammation - have been on Losec since. They asked me to come in for a colonoscopy next week since I had polyps to make sure the rest of my digestive system is clear. They told me it is nothing to worry about.

I would go with the sedation... Don't worry, it really is painless.

Good luck! You are going to be fine

Lola

What is sedation as I'm not clear and what will it do to me?

Here in the UK you have two choices, throat spray or a very mild sedation but they do not put you to sleep. I have been present and helped with many of these and you will be fine, even my own hubby has had one. He opted for the mild sedation and i stayed with him until the scope went down then there was not enough room in there for me as well so i waited outside the door for him until he was done. You cannot be 'put to sleep' as you still have to swollow the tube (camera) and you cannot do that if you are totally asleep. The throat spray just numbs the back of your throat a bit to help the scope slide down, if you opt for the sedation you will have it injected into your vein and you will be awake but not know about it. When you come round it is all over and you wont remember much at all. I believe they offer everyone the two choices and you decide which one you want. Which ever one you choose to have you will be fine, there are many many people who have had this done and hundreds more each and every day. My hubby was fine and just drowsy afterwards so if you choose to be sedated you will have to have someone with you. Hope this helps, and all the best.x

Hi Reddevil !

Yes they do if you tell them you want to be asleep ! I've had many of these as I have had a hiatus hernia repair done and have to have regular check ups. You will be OK - honest ! In my experience the anticipation of the event is infinitely worse then the actual.

For me, the sedation was injected... I also had a mask put on my nose and mouth... I assume that was part of it, too. The next thing I remember, I was waking up - the procedure done. Felt nothing. Swallowed nothing consciously. Piece of cake!

Lola

Hi all,

Regarding this sedation, people say you can not remember a thing when sedated, but how does this work without being put to sleep.

Red

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information