Thread: Is Zopiclone stronger than Promethazine for insomnia?

Is Zopiclone stronger than Promethazine for insomnia?

Hi guys
    I have been suffering from bad bouts if insomnia for 6 months. In that time my doctor has given me 50mg Promethazine (25mg wasn't strong enough to sedate me due to the severity of my insomnia).

The only problem with this medication is it takes over an hour to kick in and it leaves me groggy most of the next day. I told my doctor this and I have been given a weeks course of Zopiclone, my main concern is worrying that it won't work on me, so my question is if 50mg of Promethazine gets me 6 hours uninterrupted sleep will just one 7.5mg Zopiclone? Is the latter even more sedative than the Promethazine? Thanks.

Re: Is Zopiclone stronger than Promethazine for insomnia?

Hi 2 different drugs with 2 different modes of actions...

Zopiclone is a non benzodiazepine but works on the very same receptors and is a strong hypnotic... (sleep inducer)

Promethazine is a strong antihistamine which causes sedation which helps with sleep. Very much like mirtazapine and quetiapine... without the other bits added.

Promethazine can be used regularly with no withdrawal, zopiclone is short time and can cause withdrawals...

Either one your guaranteed a few hours in the land of nod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Really hope the Zopiclone works with just 1 pill. Just worried because I have to take 50mg Promethazine to have a sedative effect on me. Not sure if the 7.5mg Zopiclone is of comparable similar strength to 50mg Promethazine in terms of sedation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz1985 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Really hope the Zopiclone works with just 1 pill. Just worried because I have to take 50mg Promethazine to have a sedative effect on me. Not sure if the 7.5mg Zopiclone is of comparable similar strength to 50mg Promethazine in terms of sedation.

It’s not about the mg of the tablets it’s about the action of what it does. I take 50mg promethazine and go to work. I take 350mg quetiapine and 45mg mirtazapine and drive... I take various benzo and it still don’t make me sleep..... give it a whirl and don’t think about the mg think about the mode of action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I think I worry too much, part of the reason for my insomnia. My anxiety was so bad one time that before bed I drank a bottle of wine and took 100 mg of Promethazine (very risky I know) and still didn't sleep, my limbs felt like heavy concrete. Which fuelled thoughts that I would never sleep again and die. That was November and I am still here.

Thread Information