Thread: Tobacco vs Lorazepam

Tobacco vs Lorazepam

I started smoking today in order to withdrawal from Lorazepam
    Currently I'm taking 2.5mg Lorazepam at once in the morning
    And I will do it day by day: day for smoking, day for Lorazepam till I stop take Lorazepam and continue smoking
    I'm I fixing a problem by causing another problem?

Re: Tobacco vs Lorazepam

How will smoking stop you taking lorazepam??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have OCD/depression/anxiety and my mood is so bad since a long time my 150mg Clomipramine is doing nothing for this, my doctor is not helping so much if suggest him to give some other helping meds with Clompiramine, I recently started thinking to suggest him Lamotrigine for example, may be this one will fix my mood, what do you think?
    I used to smoke a lot before 2012 and I'm back for it, this time I would not smoke more than 5 cigarettes for day, I know this is extremely weird and dumb, but smoking is currently helping my mood a bit, I hate smoking and I know it's very unhealthy, but what is going to help my mood, I really hate my life now, I can do nothing with this depressive mood...
    Do you think If my doctor will give me Lamotrigine or a similar med will help me and make stay away from smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by SufferingSilent View Post
    I have OCD/depression/anxiety and my mood is so bad since a long time my 150mg Clomipramine is doing nothing for this, my doctor is not helping so much if suggest him to give some other helping meds with Clompiramine, I recently started thinking to suggest him Lamotrigine for example, may be this one will fix my mood, what do you think?
    I used to smoke a lot before 2012 and I'm back for it, this time I would not smoke more than 5 cigarettes for day, I know this is extremely weird and dumb, but smoking is currently helping my mood a bit, I hate smoking and I know it's very unhealthy, but what is going to help my mood, I really hate my life now, I can do nothing with this depressive mood...
    Do you think If my doctor will give me Lamotrigine or a similar med will help me and make stay away from smoking?

Hi where are you based uk? if so you can stretch your clomipramine to 250mg which should help with OCD ... also are you seeing a doctor or
    Psychiatrist? Why don’t you suggest a drug called zyban. In the US it is called Wellbutrin. It is used mainly in the uk to stop smoking but it is actually an antidepressant. This may help you? Also in terms of coming off lorazepam... how long have you been on that ? You need to come off that slowly and nothing will replace that except a longer acting benzo like diazepam? Do a switch to diazepam and reduce diazepam.....

Thank you, I'm from Algeria (North Africa) not UK, my psychiatrist told me that 150mg is the maximum dosage, my OCD is not so bad at this time I have bad scrupulosity, dirty thoughts about god, and I still have them from time to time but they don't bother me so much, also harming other thoughts, dark thoughts about future (they bother me actually)
    my real problem is the depressive mood which is always bad and it's bringing me a l lot of dark thinking and making want to sleep only and do nothing and lose all interest in hobbies or enjoying life, thank you for suggesting me Zyban, I will tell my doctor about it, but I don't think he will switch me to Diazepam.

Thank you for helping me, do you think that smoking will only make my situation/depression worse?!

Smoking is habitual, it does relieves anything really. It is just an addiction to nicotine and in turn is like any addiction. It changes your reward pathways within your brain, so therefore when you have a smoke you feel rewarded similar to when someone is addicted to gambling, drinking etc I ain’t here to preach as I ain’t perfect and do have my vices.

I think you need to look at possible therapy and possibly a change of meds if yours isn’t working? The addition of Wellbutrin/zyban May be what you need it will remove the desire to smoke and also uplift your mood and let the other antidepressant work on your ocd.

Let me know what you decide and how you get on,

P.S - most doctors will put you on diaZepam to wean off other benzodiazepines as it has a very long half life which gives for a smoother reduction. Short half life benzo give for a worse withdrawal or a bumpier withdrawal

I decided to stop smoking (after few days of starting it) and I think you didn't understand me, I'm not addicted to smoking I just wanted to start smoking in order to replace Lorazepam, but I tried and that didn't work, Lorazepam is still the only thing that give me a relief from anxiety and all that bad thinking, but only for a short time, now as you said Diazepam could be the best solution for me, I try to get a prescription for it.

What is happening with my meds now is that:
    Clomipramine 150mg works for only OCD, but depression and anxiety is still there.
    Lorazepam, give me a total relief but for only short duration.

Quote Originally Posted by SufferingSilent View Post
    I decided to stop smoking (after few days of starting it) and I think you didn't understand me, I'm not addicted to smoking I just wanted to start smoking in order to replace Lorazepam, but I tried and that didn't work, Lorazepam is still the only thing that give me a relief from anxiety and all that bad thinking, but only for a short time, now as you said Diazepam could be the best solution for me, I try to get a prescription for it.

What is happening with my meds now is that:
    Clomipramine 150mg works for only OCD, but depression and anxiety is still there.
    Lorazepam, give me a total relief but for only short duration.

Hi sorry wasn’t suggesting you was addicted was just saying that you would be replacing one behaviour with another?

Smoking is not going to work on your anxiety levels like a benzo would.

Lorazepam/diazepam is not great for depression they just calm things down. Lorazepam dosage of 2.5mg is equivalent to approx 20mg diazepam so your need to cross over then look to reduce.

I would still suggest talking to your doctor about something for the depression... benzo long term can cause it!

Thread Information