Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone taken Metronidazole antibiotics

Has anyone taken Metronidazole antibiotics

I've been going to the dentist a lot over the last few months to have some root canals and crowns done.

Last month I had the temporary filling in one of the big molars filled with the permanent filling and it's never really settled since then. I did contact the dentist about this and was prescribed a course of 500mgs Amoxcyllin, which seemed to work at the time but I am now back to where I was before.

So today I went back to the dentist, who is convinced that I don't have an infection but am still suffering the effects from the treatment and possibly have a bit of inflammation around the gum due to not brushing my teeth as well as I should.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the dentist has prescribed me a course of Metronidazole to take if the toothpaste and moushwash she gave me don't help. I don't think I've ever taken this particular medication before and would be grateful if anyone who has could give me any advice about it. I'm not very good with new meds

Re: Has anyone taken Metronidazole antibiotics

I've taken this a couple of times. For helicobactor pylori and a dental problem. I was okay with it but I know other people find it upsets their stomach. You can't take alcohol with them as it can make you really ill, 24 hours before taking them and up to 48 hours after finishing the course. I've been told they were an old treatment for stopping alcoholics drinking as it made them feel awful if they took a drink!! Honestly though, I was absolutely fine.
    Myra

hi ive been on this antibiotic a few times and its used to treat a multitude of things.It can cause stomache upsets when you take it and thrush in women.

Thanks for your replies Myra and Magpie girl, I am such a wuss when it comes to taking a new med, even if it's only for a short time. I was given a totally different antibiotic about 18mths ago when I had my appendix out and it made me feel really bad, kept going to the loo all the time and lost my appetite, so it's made me wary of antibiotics.

I don't drink alcohol anyway, so that's good. I will get myself some live yoghurt just in case too, thanks again

Hi Lyn,

I too have had this for a dental problem, worked a treat on the infection pretty quickly, but boy did it upset my digestive system, i ended up with thrush in my bowel, which took a while to go away, and was incredibly itchy, which was terribly embarrasing... in saying that i have had metronidazole before and never encountered this problem, think i was just unlucky..

tc

P x

Ohh this is a bad bad drug for me - I absolutely hate it and feel rubbish on it.

Sorry to be negative but a lot of people can't tolerate this medication so just warning you anyway.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've been on this a few times for dental problems after a root canal and had no problems at all, apart from the fact you mustn't drink alcohol. I had mucj worse side effects on amoxycillin ( headaches, thrush, upset tummy ).

Isn't it weird how these meds seem to affect everyone so differently. I was fine with the amoxcyllin, even though I was quite scared when I first took them, but I didn't have any side effects other than being a bit tired.

Pollyanna, gosh thrush in the bowel, that sounds nasty. I have heard of thrush in various other places, but not there

Nicola, thanks for the warning

Hopefulis, I hope your root canals settled down after taking the antibiotics. I so hate the dentist

I thought I should add something about my loose comment of "a lot of people can't tolerate this medication"

This was based on opinions from my GP and when I was in hospital I was put on a drip with this drug and the nursing staff there said the same that it is drug that a lot don't tolerate.

It wasn't just a flippant remark I made lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Ive taken it twice , main side effects for me where upset tummy and random muscle cramps.
    only thing to look out for is a rash or hives. the good thing is if you notice a rash its your body's way of saying its sensitive to the medication, so then you should stop taking it and tell your doctor. this happened me before and i was fine nothing more than a rash.
    oh n take it after food too! serious I'd say you will be fine, you may have taken it before as another name for it is flagyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information