Thread: Zopiclone (Zimovane)

Zopiclone (Zimovane)

Hi,

I was prescribed these a couple of weeks ago to help me sleep. I was in quite a bad state at the time (mainly due to the lack of sleep) and they helped a lot (took them for a couple of nights). Side effects were also pretty minimal, except for felling sleepy and lethargic the next day and having chronic bad-breath

I've started taking them again 5 days ago and have taken them every night since. They've helped me to get a good night's sleep for the most part which has left me a lot less anxious during the day and i have only had to resort to taking Diazepam a couple of times during this period (i was taking 2 or 3 a day before i started on the sleeping tablets). They've also let me get into a regular sleep pattern which is definately helpful.

My problem is that i'm not sure whether or not to keep taking them regularly or not. Am i just trading one set of problems (severe anxiety and insomnia) for some different ones (sleeping tablet dependance and lethargy)?

I've been trying other methods of getting to sleep (relaxation tapes, warm milk, etc) but without much success when i'm not using the sleeping tablets. I'm still using the relaxation tapes while taking the tablets, hoping that if i can get into the habit of using the tapes they'll help when i stop the tablets?

I've heard so many horror stories about people getting addicted to these kind of drugs, i don't want to add to my current list of problems

On the other hand, i've taken Diazepam regularly for long periods of time in the past and managed to wean myself off of them without any problems.

Andy.

hi Andy,

Maybe after taking these meds for a little while, you could slowly come off them. Maybe start by taking them every other night and cut down more from there. It could be that your mind just needed help getting into a sleep routine and that once you have managed this with meds, you will cintinue to sleep fine without them.

Sarah

You could first not take one when you're off the next day or just take half a one for a few days and see how you go.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Hi,

Thank you both for your advice. I'm going to try cutting the tablets in half and see how i get on with a lower dose for the next few days. If it doesn't work out, i'll go back to the full dose until my hospital assessment (next week) and see what the doctor there suggests.

Thanks again, Andy.

Hi Pootle

You could try taking them until you establish a regular sleeping pattern, say for a couple of weeks or more and then cut them down to every other night and then cut down a bit more. Sometimes you just need to give yourself a break and let the tablets do their job. Does it say that they are addictive.

hope this helps

Nicola

Hi Pootle!

I was prescribed the same medication a while back. Id just moved 200 miles from my home to the city and my husband worked nights so sleep kinda went out of the window for a while. I took the tablets until a regular sleep pattern was established then I gradually cut down. When youre cutting down its important to have a relaxing routine of sorts before bed.. ie: a warm bath followed by some reading/soft music etc. I had no effects after stopping these tablets and they are deemed non-adictive if used properly!

Good luck!

Minny..xx

Hi Poodle, I too have been on zopiclone for 9 months !! And suffered withdrawal symptoms, and believe me, they re worst than the anxiety at the first place. My recommendation is try not to take them for a long time or increase the dose, it wil make things even more difficult afterwards. I do know how helpful they can be but so addictive, actually they are like benzodiazepines. If you have any problems with stopping them or withdrawal, then go to www.benzo.org.uk , they know and advice better than docs, this site is a godsend for people with that kind of problem. It helped me go thru my withdrawal symptoms.
    Hope that helps. take care. Florence

hi i just called you Poodle, sorry sorry, [:I] . Pootle. lots of love.
    Florence

Re: Zopiclone (Zimovane)

I was prescribed these by my Doctor yesterday so tried them for the first time last night, I found it much easier to get off to sleep initially but still woke up at various points in the night.....does anyone else seem to get this? or does it improve with time?

I have only been given 7 days worth to try when needed (as currently on student nurse placements so need to check that they don't make me too drowsy the next day!)

thanks for any help or advice

Re: Zopiclone (Zimovane)

after literally years of insomnia i went onto zopiclone about 4 years ago and still take them now. a month ago had my dose doubled to 7.5 mg. you can cut the tabs in half my dr told me.

Thread Information