Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I lose weight?

How do I lose weight?

I'm feeling really sorry for myself at the moment. I've always been really slim and had if I'm honest problems putting weight on, or at least until I had anxiety.

When I started with anxiety, two years ago, I lost so much weight and went down to a size 8 or less. I noticed though that within a year I had put my weight back on and was a size 10 again. I didn't have a problem with that at all.

However over the last few months I seem to have put some more weight on and weigh a lot more than I ever have. I never weigh myself so it was a bit of a shock when I did today and it now seems that I'm about 11 pounds over weight and even then at that ideal weight it's more than I've ever weighed.

What could have caused this, I'm wondering if it's the meds that could be partly to blame. I know weight gain was a side effect of amisulpride but I stopped taking that in December. I'm still on the dothiepin though.

Well to cut a long story short, how do I get rid of this, I know I need to start exercising again but just find it so hard when I feel bad all of the time. I have been eating relatively healthily, though now def will be. I've probably been having a few too many glasses of wine too, does that make it gain weight? I just don't understand why my metabolism seems to have suddenly slowed down. I could always eat what I wanted and it had no effect, even if I didn't exercise. Guess it could just be age catching up with me.

Everyone says I don't look fat, but I can tell my stomach and hips are larger than they should be. Any tips on what I can do to get rid of this. I've never dieted in my life, so where do I start. I try to eat low fat anyway but what else can I do.

I guess I'm just worried cos this has hit me like a bit of brick wall

Jules

hi jules,

well i can highly recommend the 'fracture your arm in spectacular style have major problem with GA and then start panic attacks diet'[)] it lost me over half a stone in a week. no really i wouldn't have done any of that given a rewind.

i know that i am new at this but i would say don't worry about your weight while you are feeling low [i'm not new at depression:(]. the wine won't be doing your system any good i'll bet.

when i feel fat i go and find someone bigger to stand next to
    and at 10 and a half stone i still weigh half a stone more than i did when i was 9 months pregnant[:I]
    so cheer up and try not to worry. sorry i can't be any real help, take care,
    love from tess

Hiya Jules,

I believe quite a lot of meds can cause weight gain (I don't know about your in particular). Everyone has a weight that they are happy with and if u aren't happy iwth your I'm sure there are lots of tips to lose it (after all it is easier to lose weight than gain it I've been told).

Do you exercise??
    Walk anywhere or are u a car person like me!!!
    What are your eating habits (do u breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper?)

I apologise if u have covered exercise etc ina ny other topics but I don't get a good look round the forum nowadays!!!

Lucky

Tess, I love the idea about standing next to someone else. I don't look like I've put a lot of weight on as I'm quite tall, well 5'8".

Lucky I am definitely a go everywhere in the car person. I never used to be but have become really lazy. Also I've been office based for the last 20 months so I'm sure that hasn't helped. I always used to be running backwards and forwards to court etc.

Eating habits are ok, I'm not a breakfast person so usually have a cereal bar and a couple of pieces of fruit when I get to work. Lunch is usually around the same time each day and so is dinner though it all goes out of the window at weekends, when I eat at all different times.

Guess i had better start exercising, though what with trying to do more hours at work, it's hard to a, find the time and b, the motivation.

Can't even take the dog for good long walks locally now as the bloody farmer has put up fences in all of his fields and is walking round with a gun threatening to shoot any dogs on his land. Honestly he has acres of fields and one herd of cows. I don't know what his problem is, none of the other fields have anything in.

I have never been overweight before and it really scares me.

Jules

Jules,

Can I ask what weight you are (you aare the same height as me!)
    I think your eating habits aren't your problem (but I am no nutritionist). Can you maybe try swimming a couple of times a week? or an aerobics workout video for home or some kind of class that you can go to and drag a friend with you (so if u can't be bothered they will drag you anyway!!!)

I must admit I am terrible and don't exercise (although i tell myself i will start'next week'It is motivation (and lack of time) but I find if i get into an exercise routine I can usually stick with it

Lucky

Jules,

Your medication may slow your metabolism and cause weight gain - you need to discuss this with your doctor.

As for diet and exercise. I write a menu every week, buy only the ingredients and items I need, lots of fresh fruit and veg to snack on and water. I've cut tea and alcohol intake and in the last few months have lost half a stone and am very happy. I also go to the gym once a week so I have to force myself to venture out, but I also get to see my friend for an hour. I also ensure that I walk a couple of times a week round the block or to Tesco. I also run around after two kids when I'm not working.

My advice to you to start with would be to write up a menu for the week and only buy what you need. I still have crisps and chocolate in the house but limit myself to a packet now and again - if you don't have the willpower don't buy them and don't shop on an empty stomach!!

Then buy yourself a gymball, download the exercises and get gymballing in front of the telly. Then when you feel good and ready add a 20 minute walk into your routine or some cardio vascular exercise on a daily basis. And if you havn't tried it snack on raw veges and cherry tomatoes. If that sounds bland dip them in balsamic vinegar or houmous - which although high in fat is very nutritous and you only need a little just for taste. Also, and just a small tip here. I bought a packet of AfterEights and have two a day - one after lunch and one after tea. That way I don't have pudding, but the aftereight is just that sweet taster I need after a savory meal.

I'm no nutritionalist or fitness expert, and can only tell you what has worked for me and a few others I know.

Good luck,

Ruth
    x

hi again jules,
    5 foot 8 that's fantastic. i bet you don't look overweight so don't get too hung up on it. a friend's daughter is just recovering from annorexia and nearly missed out on her chance to go to ballet schol because of it. myself i don't have a weight problem - i'm just under height.

i need to excercise more [when i get rid of the plaster] so for now are just making sure i walk plenty. i tell you i nearlyjoined a gym before i found out about my high blood pressure and the gp said not to for now.
    so only do what you feel happy with and think you will enjoy or it is just a pain.
    love tess

Lucky, Although I'm embarrassed to say it, I'm 10st,13lbs. I have only really been about 9st, 7 before and usually a lot less than that. At one stage when things were bad, I was less than 8st,6

A class would be good, I am a gym member but was just in the process of downgrading my membership because I don't get to go, haven't really been since feb and then it was sporadic. Since I've felt so bad, i've been too scared to go and I get so bored. My friend does go there sometimes too and does do classes but they are so advanced that the thought of them makes me tired. I could get her to drag me along.

Ruth, there are some great tips there. I'm not too bad with chocolate and stuff usually but I guess I had been eating it when I wanted because I'd never had a problem before. In fact it's usually Dave that I have to hide it from, he has to have the whole packet of biscuits.

Good tip about not shopping on an empty stomach I always spend too much then too. The last few weeks I had just been buying what I needed for the week and sticking too it. But I suppose it takes more than that to make a difference. The wine will be the hard thing as I've been having a glass or two most days.

Anyway thanks again will keep you posted. - and Lucky if you weigh loads less than me, I'm definitely not coming to the meet at Megs, ha,ha

Jules

Jules

10st 13 is absolutely fine for your height. At 5'8 you healthy range is between 9.6 and 11.10 so before you were underweight and you have almost a stone more to go before you are overweight.

If no-one else can notice it then you are probably just feeling a bit sensitive about it due to anxiety.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Thanks for that Emily. Maybe I am being sensitive. It didn't help that the bloody scales in Boots said that I'm 11 lbs overweight.

You can notice it a bit on my tummy. Though my boss has been laughing at me all afternoon cos he says all he can do now is look at my bum and hips. He doesn't think I have anything to worry about and was really shocked when I told him I was overweight (or so I thought).

Oh well it will do me good to exercise anyway, I would rather be at the lower end of the range rather than the mid or upper. I just want my flat tummy back. lol

Julie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information