Thread: Are my husbands video games to blame?

Are my husbands video games to blame?

Hi all,
    It's been a while since I've been on here as I've tried to put my OCD to the back of my mind and not question it, now...I've got something that's been troubling me.

Could my husbands violent video games be the cause of mty violent obsessions?

My husband plays games like Farcry, occasionally Call of Duty and Battlefield. He laughs at people getting shot in the head on such games, it makes me feel uneasy. he also likes action films with shooting and stabbing in, and I can't watch. The problem is though I get horrid violent thoughts about knifing people which I hate. I usually end up crying when I get them because they trouble me, but it's like my brain has learnt it's an acceptable way to behave. I try not to watch soaps or read the news as with all the violence it feels like it's fuelling the fire. I know I don't like violence, but it feels like my brain is encouraging me, anyway. Could this be something I've learnt from video games?

Thanks all

MrsS

Re: Are my husbands video games to blame?

I think you are having what are called 'intrusive thoughts.' The fact that they bother you tells you that you would never act on them.

Yeah I've done some therapy so I know exactly what they are, I just don't feel therapy helped. I as out down for mindfulness awareness not ERP and one of the things we had to do was to work out the probability of us actually acting on the thought. Regardless of how huge the number you calculate and you put it down as 1 in X, that 1 still plays on you. It's horrid

MrsS x

I wouldn't have thought they could be the sole cause, but maybe it's that they remind you of your intrusive thoughts, which is why they make you feel uneasy?

I obviously don't know your personal situation, but just a thought - does your husband know how they make you feel? It just seems to me that giving up violent films and video games (or at least, only playing them when you're not around) shouldn't be that big a hardship given how much it affects you. OK, you could say that other people shouldn't have to adjust their lifestyles to fit around you, but at the same time, it doesn't seem a huge thing to ask of him, to me...

Thread Information