Thread: Ideas of reference

Ideas of reference

Hi,

Do any of you guys get 'ideas of reference'? Not sure if this is an OCD thing, just general anxiety or what so decided to post here.

Basically, every time I fixate on a new worry, I see stuff about it EVERYWHERE, in news articles, TV shows, adverts etc etc. For instance, I have one worry that I have a specific health condition and everywhere I look, I seem to see things about this condition. I've also had this with worries about war, storms, being kidnapped, etc.

I feel like it can't possibly be a coincidence as I never saw this stuff before, and my mind tells me 'something' must be trying to warn me about it or send me a message, which in turn makes me feel like I'm stupid or going crazy.

Psychiatrist said it's called 'ideas of reference' and I was wondering if anyone else gets the same thing. It's making me feel so much worse, so any tips on how to deal with it would be appreciated!

Re: Ideas of reference

Hi,

I didn't know that's what it's called but i get that all the time. 'm worried about my heart these days and everywhere i turn i see references to heart problems, i'm trying to ignore them and tell myself these are coincidences.

Re: Ideas of reference

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Hi,

I didn't know that's what it's called but i get that all the time. 'm worried about my heart these days and everywhere i turn i see references to heart problems, i'm trying to ignore them and tell myself these are coincidences.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one

People have said that these 'references' were probably there all along as things like health are very common topics, and it's just that in the past our minds weren't so alert about it and didn't pay attention to it. Going to try and keep that in mind when it happens.

Thread Information