Thread: First time IV sedation... Extremely scared!

First time IV sedation... Extremely scared!

I'm having an upper GI endoscopy on Thursday. I have to have IV sedation (propofol) for the procedure. I'm really scared because I've never been put under before.

I've been driving myself crazy with worry... Especially with all the stories of propofol in the news (Michael Jackson). I even watched a video of propofol being administered and the patient stopped breathing. I'm not sure what level of anesthesia I would be under for an endoscopy, but I would assume I'd (hopefully) be able to breathe on my own.

Please help me to put my mind at ease. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I need positivity now. I'm a nervous wreck.

Has anyone undergone IV sedation, particularly with propofol? How was your experience? How scared were you before the procedure?

Re: First time IV sedation... Extremely scared!

Hi
    I'm unsure what sedation I had yesterday but I was fully conscious throughout and they monitored my heart,oxygen levels etc. It was very quick (5 mins) and the dr spoke to me all the way through the procedure.

Please don't worry, it just made me feel relaxed and I had no pain at all, just a bit of gagging which really didn't bother me as I was so relaxed.

I'm a big wimp but believe me when I can honestly say,I'd have it done again today.
    You'll be fine and good luck

Thank you for the kind words. Today, I'm going to try working on deep breathing and positive imagery. My procedure is at 9 AM tomorrow (I live in the states.)

I hade IV sedation to have 6 teeth filled as i have a bad reaction to injections and it causes me panic attacks.

I was petrified like you , but likeMags has said i was as i describe it aware of what was going on but i wasn't , but i felt no pain and my heart and breathing was monitored all the way through the procedure, and afterwards . It was really fine and i really did worry for nothing .

good luck anesnoob, please let us know how you get on.

Sedation went great. I was super nervous right before it. I think my pulse was 130 or so, but I tolerated it well after being put under. They did find gallstones and polyps, though.

well done so glad it's over for you.

Please don't worry, it just made me feel relaxed and I had no pain at all, just a bit of gagging which really didn't bother me as I was so relaxed.

Thread Information