Thread: sore calves

kidney test results say mine are slow

So I am a 46 yr old male of average weight. I run a lot but I do use tobacco a lot too (mostly snuff). I take meds for GORD and I have IBS and loads of HA. My doctor has me get blood work every six months to help ease my anxiety. This time around I got a call to call them back. I nearly fainted, this had never happened before. I called back and they wanted me to have my blood work redone in a month because my kidneys were slow (their term). I don't know what the exact test or numbers were but I did ask how worried and the nurse said not be worried just drink more water and limit NSAIDs. I of course heard, that I am dying and will not be around to see my 5 kids grow up. Then I googled and immediately regretted it. Someone want to talk some sense into me please?

J2

Re: kidney test results say mine are slow

Well if they just have blood work I doubt they know if it's one kidney or both acting up. And your kidneys are made to handle everything on their own. As in humans only need 1 kidney not 2. Why we have 2 is beyond me. And my step moms dad has had kidney issues since I have known him and her which is going on 9-10 years. Yes he needs. Transplant but still getting around and he has to go get his blood filtered. People can have kidney problems and never need transplants I think under 20-40% is when they say someone is in need of a kidney transplant. And if they are asking for more blood work in a month then they must not be as bad as it sounds just keeping a check on it. If you start pissing blood or brown then start to worry.

It's you're anxiety getting the best of you I mean you are getting older things start to slow down but doesn't mean you are on you're death bed or anything. Like I said I have know someone with kidney diease for like ten years and his is bad enough he is on list fly a transplant but he still gets around.

Re: kidney test results say mine are slow

They could be talking about kidney function which is done as a percentage and loads of people have kidneys that do not function perfectly. they always want to redo the tests to make sure its not a technical issue and some of the kidney function tests measure hydration so if you were dehydrated at the time of your last test this will really affect your results so drink big glass of water a couple of hours before you go to be sure.

Bad kidney test results and falling apart

I am a 46 yr old man who works out daily and felt generally OK until 5 days ago. I am now completely in panic mode after routine blood work showed I have something called a kidney gfr of 59. My doctor called me and wants me to have it tested again in 3 weeks. If it is that low or lower, he will send me for a scan to check for things like stones and tumors. That number puts in a stage 3 chronic kidney disease. I am unable to cope. I have a very long history with anxiety and I can't sleep or eat. I am near tears all the time. Every time I look at my kids I think I am going to leave them. The doctor had little advice, he just said drink water and avoid NSAIDs. Needless to say I have been drinking loads of water and haven't taken a NSAID. I don't know what to do, my wife is trying to be strong for me but it is not helping. Any thoughts or insights would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    J2

Re: Bad kidney test results and falling apart

For one men are prone to kidney problems with age, why I don't know. I know quite a few men that have issues with stones. Where did you get your information that this is stage 3 chronic kidney disease? If you have a long history of anxiety, tears and can't eat or sleep you need to tell your doctor. You have two kidneys and I'm sure you will not be leaving your children any time soon. Please seek help for your anxiety. I did and now I'm better without the medication. I used it when I needed it.

I know how scary stuff like this can be. I'm curious, when was the last time you had blood work done? I just read online that a gfr of 60-100 is normal. So you are really close to the normal range. Is your blood pressure high? Do you take a lot of NSAID's usually? My mom was diagnosed with kidney disease, stage two, about six years ago. With her blood pressure being controlled and such, it has improved and is stable. Do what the doctor said. Keep well hydrated. This could just have been a blip in your system. Next time around it could be well in the normal range.

Thanks for the kind words. I have contacted my dr about my fears and I am waiting for a response. I do not have high blood pressure and I was taking NSAIDS a couple of times a week or so before I was told of my numbers. Like so many on here, I feel like I am just waiting for the worst news possible. I feel so weak and pitiful.

J2

kidney gfr retest and worried

So 15 days ago I had a routine blood test that showed my kidney GFR at 59. This is low and I am freaked out. I had a retest today and I am waiting for the results. It will be at least tomorrow before I know anything and I am terrified of the results. I am 46, average weight, I do use snuf tobacco and I have a very long history of HA. I had never worried about my kidneys before and now this is all I can think about. I just don't know what to do or what I will do if the second test comes back bad too.

Thanks,
    J2

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Does anyone know if kidney function can improve or is this a downward spiral?

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

I am so worried about kidney cancer that I am crumbling.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

Has anyone else had a GFR below 60? Can you tell what i can do to improve my kidney function?

Re: kidney gfr retest and worried

A rogue low gFR means nothing, most likely. Discuss with your doc if concerned. He/she can advise as necessary. If there are no other worrisome symptoms/labs, I imagine you'll be fine. Besides, it's one point below the minimum 60. Labs are not always perfect, sometimes they fall out of the normal range temporarily. The body is a mysterious machine.

Re: kidney gfr retest and worried

I appreciate your blunt honesty. Logically I agree with you but emotionally I can not think of anything except a tragic outcome. I am trying to stay positive.

Thread Information