Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Endoscopy and Sedation

Re: Endoscopy and Sedation

had one many years ago apx ten years ago was a horrible but nesseary thing,wasnt sedated but was advised it could seem worse if i was by nurse so jst gagged n threw up throughout the 5 min or so,

I had spray and gagged on tube but it was over in minutes had sore throat for cple days tho if I had to do it again I think I would just get spray again ( remember I said think lol )

I had an endoscopy last month, which I was extremely nervous about, and after discussing it with my doctor, as per his recommendation I opted for the sedation, and I'm really glad I did. I have a strong gag reflex, and I was also concerned about distress, or panicking/choking and causing perforations, dental damage, etc. I had the spray first (mandatory), then the sedation, and I remember the mouthguard going in, and being asked what my favourite cocktail was, and that was it. Next thing, about 45 minutes later, I woke up gently, by myself, in a recovery bay, with no memory of the procedure, no pain, and very little wooziness. They do say that you should have someone with you for the following 24 hours after sedation, but to be honest I was fine. I walked out of the hospital unaided, went home and took the afternoon quietly, just watching tv and dozing. I probably could have gone to work, in reality. My suggestion is, to anyone who is a bit freaked about having an endoscopy, don't be a hero, especially if you're scared. Just be kind to yourself and have the sedation! Opting for an afternoon appointment if possible means you don't have to lose much time off work, and a few hours taking care of yourself after that kind of process is not a bad thing anyway. If I had to have the procedure again, I'd go for sedation, without a doubt.

I had it done a few years ago with sedation.
    I must say it was horrible. The sedation didn't work
    At all. I was gagging and trying to pull it out.

I felt very tramatised by it. I cried for days after.
    I'm by no means a chicken but my experience was
    Really horrid.
    The doctor doing it was heartless and seemed totally
    Put out by my reaction.

I know others that have had it done and its been fine.
    All I can say is that I would never have it done in this
    Particular hospital again!!
    I still to this day, would love to go back and punch that
    Doctor on the nose.

I had it done with sedation (midazolam) and it was fantastic. They were reluctant to give me sedation but I said 'you wouldn't like me unsedated'. I was right, at the first panic, when they put the green thing in my mouth and I said I couldn't breathe, they put the sedative in, and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery ward feeling very happy!

On the other hand, I had a colonoscopy at the same hospital some years ago, they said they'd sedated me but I felt every miserable moment of it. However, I did feel quite woozy and happy afterwards, so perhaps it was just a very low dose and not enough to dull the pain.

I had an endoscopy many years ago. In those days it meant having a full general anaesthetic!!!! It's so much quicker nowadays.

I was totally out for mine, but we were in and out of the office in something like an hour, and I felt great afterwards-like I'd had a nice nap-so I don't think it was the same as a general?

Anyway, I have OCD and horrible HA, but I survived! If you can have them give you a, "Nap," when they do it, I'd recommend it! The guy who did mine does nothing but them all day long. It helps to keep mind that for medical professionals these are very, very routine.

Hope that helps someone!

I had an endoscopy back in the 80’s, and had throat spray and sedation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information