Thread: Back again after 3 years, smear worry

Back again after 3 years, smear worry

Hi everyone

Well here I go again with my smear test worry. I'm waiting for the letter to tell me to go for my smear test. The last two have sent my anxiety of the charts! I go for my 3 yearly smears as soon as I get letter. Not the most pleasant experience but it's over with pretty quick. I can cope with the exam itself it's waiting for the results. Now I'm not too bad at the moment, playing on my mind but doing ok. When I have the test that'll be it, full on panic mode thinking the worst. I'm in Wales and not sure what the current wait time for results is. Have they also changed the testing? HPV or something? Now I feel like I've got two chances of things being wrong.

Re: Back again after 3 years, smear worry

I've just been through this and understand the anxiety. I don't know about HPV, I think if cells show any changes they test for it then. I had my results through today which were all normal, but the anxiety did get the better of me at various points in the process. It's worth the anxiety, if nothing else it stops it brewing by avoiding the test! Can't win, but one direction is better than the other. x

Thanks Sally

Its awful. There is no way I would every not go but already sending me into panic. Im OK one minute then the next I get the wash of panic. Wont be able to go for about 2 weeks as due my P soon. I havent even had the letter yet but didnt wait for it last time either, just booked it to get it out of the way. My smears up to now have been normal, so of course now I think this one wont be. I also tell myself to stop being silly and not to worry too much hahaha if only it were that simple! I also think that if I dont worry too much then its almost like im jinxing myself if that makes sense.

Very similar way of thinking and feeling to me, in fact almost step by step. All my smears been normal and I'm on the case too but I do the same 'dance' with my thoughts. I know worry doesn't change anything but the uncertainty and out of control feelings can really trigger the awful anxiety ��

I tried really hard to feel empowered on some level, still in charge, because in reality there are always moments that we are and we do have a choice. That helped a bit. Hope you can book the appointment and put it out of your mind. There is no real reason for there to be something a miss than anyone else and the test is to detect changes that are treatable. I'm sure the logic doesn't really help but thought I'd say it anyway x
    Last edited by Sallyg; 25-04-17 at 19:09. Reason: Spelling

Thanks Sally

Wont be able to go for one for least a couple of weeks. Like I said fine one minute anxiety the next. Try and be logical but then impending doom follows! Damn this anxiety! Thanks again Sally :-)

Annie if your last smear was normal 3 years ago? You'll be happy to know the new recomendations in the USA at least are now every 5 years. So if you were good three years ago? Girl you are good now <3

Thread Information