Thread: Done with life. Fed up with solipsism.

Done with life. Fed up with solipsism.

I am fed up of everything. Constantly jumping from thought to thought, it never stops. I am so fed up of solipsism. I want to know that the loved ones I see every day ARE real and are conscious like me.

I want to die. I want to escape all of this suffering. I have had this for 4 years now, and I feel like there is absolutely no end to it. It feels like it has been way too long now.

I'm getting no where in life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Re: Done with life. Fed up with solipsism.

Hi eggs I have been in a similar situation to you over different aspects of my life and I wanted my life to end. I was in a bad place, but things have improved and no longer think like this Take a look at this thread: www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133708&highlight=solipsism

Bigboyuk do you mean you had this same issue?

I have this at times as well surrounding my relationship, i know my boyfriend is just as real as the others i know. But why doesn't it seem that way when he's right next to one of my best friends? Why does my best friend look more real than him?

Hi- I went through a similar thing to this and I posted my thoughts on it to try and help out someone else on here a while ago, so i'll just copy that here-

i've had exactly the same fear and it really sucks. i did the same thing as you when i had this fear- i found just about every argument against solipsism there is, and read over them multiple times. i'm not going to talk about any of those because i'm sure you'll have read all of them, but one (really quite obvious) thing i will say is that there are a lot. and most of them are pretty compelling. i dont think i ever found one good argument in favour of solipsism, in fact the only thing it really has going for it is that you can't disprove it.

of course just because you can't disprove something, doesn't make it true. i can't prove there isn't pink unicorn that follows me around which is simply invisible to the naked eye and undetectable by any scientific instrument, but since there is absolutely no evidence for that idea there's no point giving it any thought. same goes for solipsism. you just have to learn to see it as an intellectual exercise, a sort of logical loophole.

you have to stop looking for answers. nothing will ever satisfy your desire for conclusive proof that solipsism is not true. don't fight it, just let it be there. and after a while the thoughts will become less frequent, and you will realise that despite the fact the thought is disprovable, you don't feel you need to disprove it. it just won't seem possible anymore, if you see what i mean.

i can't really offer any insight on the last part of you're post, about having the same fear for such a long time. i worried about the solipsism thing on and off for over a year but i think the longest i ever worried about it without it going away was about 3 months, which seems like nothing in comparison to you and i am genuinely sorry you have been suffering with this for so long. what i would say though is it that i really believe it doesn't matter how long the idea has bothered you, you can still recover from it. i think one of the scariest aspects of the whole solipsism thing is that you feel 'stuck' in it. the idea of being trapped by doubt is scarier than the idea itself somehow. but i promise you, you're not stuck. everytime you start to feel anxious over solipsism, just remind yourself it's an only one philosophical idea, one out of thousands, and an ill-evidenced one at that. tell yourself it's not worth your attention, and move on to something else. i know it seems impossible if you've being worrying about it for so long, but i am 100% confident that one day the idea will not trouble you anymore.

also another thing i found useful is to find something to focus on when you feel anxious. find something that really engages you. i don't know if you play an instrument but i used to find that playing the piano helps. just anything that distracts you. and then you will calm down, and you can look at the thought in a more objective, rational way.

hope that helps please feel free to message me if you want to talk xx

I had that for 3 months, thinking other people weren't real and conscious, like robots making a teather to me. I think it is that...
    Well, i stopped questioning it and become fine. I started to do activities with other people like playing football and athletics. Do that, no fear.

Hi eggs <3

Well I had this fear too and I'll tell you a couple of things. When this fear appeared in my head for the first time I turned to phylosophy looking for answers, and if you read enought you will realize that solipsism is self-contradictory, you are only scared because the thought of solipsism flash through your mind and you react to it, but if you study it for a while you will see that it isn't even remotely plausible that solipsism is valid. But that is a joruney that you have to do. Best of lucks

Thread Information