Thread: Flying, panic and propranolol

Flying, panic and propranolol

Hi All,

I'm very sorry if this has already been posted but I am looking for some advise and reassurance to my situation.

Background: 23 years old, have started having panic attacks fairly recently which made me realise I have had anxiety most of my life. Not on anti-depressants but am having counselling. I experience anxiety when having to use public transport, attending meetings or dinners with friends and in crowded areas.

My situation: Very soon I am flying out with friends on a trip. I am very anxious about the plane journey and am terrified I will have an anxiety attack on the plane. I experience "flight or fight" a lot and most the time I feel the need to "escape" so am scared I experience this on the plane and well... there is no escaping on a plane! The flight is 3 hours.

Docs have prescribed me propranolol to help me stay calm on plane. Does it work? Has anyone experienced using propranolol to help keep them calm whilst travelling?

Also, does anyone have any advise for keeping yourself from having a panic attack on a plane or even if you have had one, what did you do? Was it ok afterwards?

Thank you!

Re: Flying, panic and propranolol

propranolol is a beta blocker, ask your doctor for some Diazepam for the flight there and back, it will calm you down and relax you quick, doctors dont like giving it out though, but you can only ask.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

its a terrible scary thing panic attacks, take some ear phones with you and listen to some music or some meditation audio, I find that relaxes me.
    Also, if you do feel the panic rising, do the breathing excercise through your belly and tell yourself inside your head, ok I have this, but its not going to harm me in any way, it will pass, I know it easier said than done, but have a read about anxiety about how it cant harm you in any way whatsoever, thats what I now tell myself. but take practice, also I have been on seraltine for 4 weeks so maybe thats helping.
    you will be fine on the flight, dont let it beat you, tell yourself you are going to be fine.
    BTW I am flying in two weeks, so have some Diazepam at the ready just in case, hopefully wont need it.
    Last edited by Brian123; 14-09-17 at 22:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post
    propranolol is a beta blocker, ask your doctor for some Diazepam for the flight there and back, it will calm you down and relax you quick, doctors dont like giving it out though, but you can only ask.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

its a terrible scary thing panic attacks, take some ear phones with you and listen to some music or some meditation audio, I find that relaxes me.
    Also, if you do feel the panic rising, do the breathing excercise through your belly and tell yourself inside your head, ok I have this, but its not going to harm me in any way, it will pass, I know it easier said than done, but have a read about anxiety about how it cant harm you in any way whatsoever, thats what I now tell myself. but take practice, also I have been on seraltine for 4 weeks so maybe thats helping.
    you will be fine on the flight, dont let it beat you, tell yourself you are going to be fine.
    BTW I am flying in two weeks, so have some Diazepam at the ready just in case, hopefully wont need it.
    Hi Brian, thank you so much for your reply. I will contact my doctor and see if I can maybe get some diazepam. I will definitely take my earphones and download some programmes to watch. Thanks for you help

Hi,

I have agoraphobia accompanied by panic attacks. I too get the 'need to escape' feeling. I take a small amount of propranolol on a daily basis but in my experience if the thing you're about to face causes severe anxiety then propranolol usually isn't enough.
    I've taken diazepam a couple of times before when I've had to visit the dentist and it definately works and calms you down very quickly.
    As said above doctors certainly don't like to prescribe it because it's addictive but I think if you explain that you'll just be using it for the flights then they should be more willing to write you a prescription.

Hope this helps

Smile Re: Flying, panic and propranolol

Hi,

Just an update. Back from the trip and it was panic attack free! I found the propranolol actually worked really well but I had diazepam on me just incase (it probably helped knowing I had it just incase)

Talking to my friends and having distractions really helped too.

Thread Information