Thread: Extreme anxiety & intrusive thoughts

Extreme anxiety & intrusive thoughts

Hi all,
    Ive suffered anxiety since i was 19. Im now 35 and this past 3 weeks has been the worst yet. I have had quite a rough year as i split with my wife and moved out from my kids. We got back together but im still living alone. My work is constant stress too.
    This past 3 weeks though have been rough.
    Am I losing my mind? I cant stop worrying about everything and anything. Its my thoughts that are disturbing me and cause me to panic. I keep worrying im going to see or hear things, which i dont, i worry that there is physical things wrong and im freaking myself out that i have every disorder you can get. I usually get unwanted thoughts or images of harming loved ones but i can usually control, but its pretty intense just now. I was also getting a fear of looking people in the eyes and I would get a really stong paranoid feeling, it comes and goes but i feel im losing control and going to end up sectioned or something. Help anyone

Re: Extreme anxiety & intrusive thoughts

I'm in a very similar situation. I keep having the "scared I'm going to see something" thoughts too. Like I'm waiting to be scared by something any second.

I've likened it to when a child is afraid there's a monster under the bed. We know there is no monster. It's just the child's imagination.

In my case, I think it's a combination of isolation, panic and my brain trying to rationalise the fear.

I'm not a professional, but I don't think you are losing your mind. It sounds like you are going through an intense period and you're struggling.

I know exactly what you're going through though. You're not alone at least

Sorry you're feeling this way. :(

Is it possible for you to take any time off work? What you describe sounds like adequate reason to take a couple of days off work minimum. For your mental health, can you take some time to relax, or do something fun?

I know some of these feelings... not being able to look people in the eye. I feel like they see my soul and it feels far too naked for me. Too exposing. I also don't want to see other people's souls when I feel that way. I also get a fear of escalators when I'm in periods of stress - I'm fine with them at other times, just when I'm in bad patches it comes back.

You're being challenged right now. It's not just about alleviating the symptoms. What can you do to help yourself through this time period? Self love makes a huge difference. What can you do to be compassionate and supportive to yourself? What would you tell your best friend to do, if they were in this situation?

Best of luck

Have you tried mindfulness training? I found it incredibly interesting and helpful. I am usually very sceptical about anything that seems to be 'alternative' but I found it so informative and it really helped me understand how my mind works.

I learnt some basic and obvious things that had never really occurred to me before, eg. thoughts are not facts. They occur as a result of our emotions. We cannot change our emotions but we can influence our thoughts.

Meditation also is very helpful in 'resetting' the mind to a more relaxing state.

I can't recommend it enough. Just make sure you see someone who is properly qualified. I was referred via my GP.

Thread Information