Thread: Norovirus

Norovirus

hi,

i am absolutely terrified about getting this bug, people at my school are quickly dropping off. iv had nightmares about it. i just wish i could hide in a little hole with noone around me until it passes over.

can i reccomednd this hand cleannining foam called somthing like no germs or any other of that type. iv also started taking in my own plastic cutlery so i know that noone else had touched it.

bye

Re: Norovirus

Hi Max have you spoken to anyone about this fear,parents,doctor.
    You need to speak to someone and not bottle it all up in side sweety,you will make yourself worse.
    If its going around the school shouldnt it be closed.

Hi,

thanks for your concern. my parents do know about it and so d othe school. the school are taking some precautions like telling people to wash thier hands etc. but they would never close it, they couldnt care less if people were sick a few times, nor would most of the pupils.

thanks

MAX

Max if you have a fear of vomiting you need to see your gp.There are others on here with the same phobia.

I feel the school should be reminding Everyone that if they become ill, they Must stay away until the virus has Completely gone. I think they say 48 hours? If everyone did this, then the virus would be prevented from spreading to others.

The school have told every one about the 48 hour thing. but the worrying thing is that some people are trying to get this bug. so they do things like make people who have had the bug touch them etc. others who have had the bug are trying to soldier on so they come back to school too soon.

MAX

Hi

Guys someone in my office had it last week and said it is more the runs then being sick. another person that has had it also said it is more the ones, and feeling sick, so if you do get it does not mean you will throw up. Is this bug calming dowen yet, does anyone think?

Louise im not sure about it calming down yet or not but I know a total of 1,122,874 people contacted the NHS helpline over the 11-day Christmas and New Year period which was a 61% increase on last year.

The good news is that a vaccine is being trialled. This is from an article on Medical News Today site:

LigoCyte Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced today that it has initiated the Phase I clinical trial of its investigational Norovirus vaccine at the University of Maryland Medical Center. The study will assess safety and immunogenicity of LigoCyte's intranasally-delivered, dry powder vaccine in healthy adults.

"Norovirus infections are now being recognized as a disease with extensive consequences," said Donald P. Beeman, CEO and chairman of the board at LigoCyte. "The impact of this highly contagious virus is just now being appreciated as substantial numbers of outbreaks are being recorded this year."

Norovirus infection, well known as the "stomach flu," is the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis, afflicting 23 million Americans annually. Norovirus infection is characterized by the acute onset of nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and occasionally fever. Dehydration is the most common complication, particularly in the elderly, young and hospitalized populations. Severe clinical outcomes are associated with these at-risk populations, where infection can disrupt primary treatment regimens and, in severe cases, can lead to death. Noroviruses are highly infective, easily transmitted, and difficult to kill. Extensive outbreaks occur in community environments, particularly hospitals, hotels, schools, and nursing homes, resulting in mounting socioeconomic cost to businesses dealing with epidemic outbreaks. The military is also affected, as outbreaks represent a significant readiness issue for naval vessels and land-based military installations.

LigoCyte's Norovirus vaccine is a needle-free, dry powder formulation based upon virus like particles (VLPs), which are highly purified protein products. By preserving the authentic conformation of the viral capsid, VLPs mimic the functional interactions of the live virus, while lacking the ability to reproduce or cause illness. LigoCyte's vaccine formulation also includes the adjuvant Monophosphoryl Lipid A, provided under license from GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE: GSK), and chitosan (ChiSys(R)), under license from Archimedes Pharma, to enhance nasal delivery.

On April 27, 2007, Dr. Charles Richardson, executive VP, research & development at LigoCyte, will present data on the Norovirus vaccine at the 4th International Conference on Vaccines for Enteric Diseases (VED2007) in Lisbon, Portugal. Dr. Richardson's oral presentation will include preclinical data showing humoral, cellular, and mucosally-derived immunogenicity; safety results from the recently completed toxicology study, including data on serum (IgG) immunoglobin levels; and the clinical trial design for the Phase I human safety study.

That would be great relief to many people if it works out.

For anyone that would like hand sanitiser that works against the virus a few products that have been recommended to me from good sources are the following:

http://www.zapp-it.co.uk/
    http://www.newgenn.com/products/

Hopefully we see an end to this virus soon.

Thread Information