Thread: Anxiety and 'pressure' sensations - who else?

Anxiety and 'pressure' sensations - who else?

One symptom I have had several times is an odd feeling of pressure. Each time I get it, it is in a different place, and every time, it freaks me out completely. I am not talking about pain - just an odd sensation, almost like a bubble under the skin, or just the feeling that something isn't quite right.

The first time I had this was in my breast, I thought it was breast cancer, and turned out to be nothing and went away when I finally stopped thinking about it.

The second time it was my lower stomach and I thought it was ovarian cancer...again, went away when I stopped thinking of it.

Right now it is at the back of my head in a very specific area on one side, and it is driving me insane. Of course I worry it is a brain tumour.

If Im being totally honest, I had been poking and prodding in all locations prior to this sensation starting so maybe I caused some inflammation, or just drew my attention to the area far too much.

Who else gets this? Where do you feel the pressure? Does it come out of nowhere, or is it an area you have been worried about or checking repeatedly?

Anyone else had the head pressure like I describe?

Re: Anxiety and 'pressure' sensations - who else?

Aw bless you, this reminded me of the guy who went to the doctor with very similar symptoms, explained that everywhere he pressed it really hurt, and in the end he says, "Can you tell me what it is?" and the doctor replies, "Yes, you have a broken finger."

I don't know about you but I can make anywhere hurt just by wondering if it's hurting, so it is no surprise that you are discovering all these pains.

I think the crunch is that the pain goes (or moves) when you stop thinking about it. If it was anything serious it would persist, wouldn't it? So I think your hunch that you are focussing on it too much is probably correct. Do you have a sympathetic doctor who will check you out and talk to you?

Yes.... this is new to me... crawling feelings in one side of head. I was worried it might be bugs... last night late I felt it crawling... feels like it and it popped... now I have a tiny lump on the side of my head. It is scaring me. It comes on and off. I don't know if this is due to anxiety as I can still feel it crawling... I still have the vibrating feelings in my back and electrical buzzing... I do get upset about it and cry about it a bit. I just want to go back to normal!!!!

I want to be normal too. I dont want to go to the doc....it wont help the situation! Im waiting for cbt..

I just cant stop thinking about it. I tryto distract myself, and then I think about it more. I am trying so so so hard to beat this, but I am failing. I have read cbt books and tried to learn what to do but I cant do it. I feel like its always there stopping me fully enjoying everything. And of course,the fact that I cant distract myself from it very much makes me question if it IS anxiety,and maybe it is something serious.

Does anyone know anything I can try?

Hi karlyo,

I can relate to this sensation. My main physical symptoms are chest and left arm pain/discomfort, which my GP has diagnosed as neuropathic pain due to anxiety and bad posture.

But a couple of weeks ago, I had my blood pressure measured and it was a bit high for the first time. Within 24 hours I noticed a vein in my left temple was bulging and I felt the crawling sensation. Of course I thought my bp was causing this and it was going to pop. After about 3 days my arm pain got worse, so I completely forgot about the temple and hey presto, not come back since.

Therefore it is very obvious to me that we can just bring on a symptom by anxiety and concentrating on an area. I am sure this is what is happening to you.

But, please go and see your GP if it continues to bother you. He/she will almost certainly say nothing is wrong and you can then be reassured.

Good luck

Charlie

I feel the exact same pressure on this one spot on my head. did a ct scan, it was clear. so yeah, it's just our anxiety.

Thread Information