Thread: Tingly/burning sensation in chest

Tingly/burning sensation in chest

I know I suffer from health anxiety. I tend to get sort of concentrated periods of it, lasting a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of times a year, depending on what else is going on it my life at the time.

I've been a bit stressed/upset about some not very nice news I had last week and ever since I have been building myself up into this sort of frenzy!

I'm currently training for the London Marathon and I read this story in the marathon magazine about how 8 people out of the zillions that have ever run the marathon have died suddenly without even realising that they had any kind of heart problem. And guess what? Now I'm convinced its going to happen to me! Ever since reading about it I started getting little twinges in my chest and arm that kind of moved around and now its sort of settled into a general burning, tingling sensation at the top of my chest, above my breasts and I'm getting this sort of tingly tense feeling in my shoulders and at the side of my head which I know is anxiety because I've had it before. The pain in my chest kind of eases when I try really hard to relax but then I start convincing myself that its not easing and I start bulding myself back up into this anxious state again!! When I actually go for a run I can run 10 miles and I don't feel anything, I actually feel better, which kind of tells me that the exercise is making me relax and thats why its going, but then who can be that rational when going through a bout of anxiety?! Then within half an hour its back. I've no problems at night, I go to sleep and I wake up without it but again give it half an hour and its back.

I'm too scared to go to the doctors because I think he's going to tell me I've got cancer which is completely ridiculous and completely unrelated to this undiagnosed heart problem that is going to give me a heart attack which again should be telling me that I'm anxious and should just try to calm down but again difficult to be quite that rational. On top of this in the last 2 weeks I've also been convinced that a dry patch of skin on my face is skin cancer and guess what, thats pretty much gone now!

I guess I'm just hoping for someone to say calm down and we know what you're going through and you're not the only one etc etc. And actually I just think I needed to write it all down and get some of it out of my head!!

Thanks so much for reading this!

Swarbs x

Re: Tingly/burning sensation in chest

8 people out of the zillions

Mate you have already stated it yourself, when we have anxiety we totally do the oppostite to normal people.
    IE. Normal people tyink that all diseases ,car crashes, accidents will never happen to them.

Anxiety sufferers think the same things are bound to happen to them.

mate if you run 10 miles without any pains or anything you are fitter than 99 % of people in the world. you are absolutely fine, i wish i could run 5 miles .

now you carry on training to do your marathon and i swear on my life that you will come back here after it and will tell everyone what a great experience you had doing it.

Dont forget , out of the thousands and thousands of people that have ran it 8 people may have had that problem , but considering that nealry 20% of those people that run it are also over 50 years old that staticstic does not even compare. I bet you have more chance of actually dying from getten bit by a chicken than dying of sudden heart failure.

you dont wrry about it my friend and good luck on your marathon.

and try not to be negative about your heart, it is working wonders for you mate, and its the best thing we will ever own.

Flinty

Thread Information