Thread: Success with meds and CBT?

Success with meds and CBT?

Hello all,

I am about to start cognitive behavioral therapy and medication for the awful panic/anxiety/GAD and resulting depression I've been having for the past three weeks. Have others found the combination of this type of therapy and proper medication effective?

Also, a friend who is a nurse practitioner with a lot experience in pharmacology suggested trying SAM-e for the depression. Has anyone used this supplement with any success?

Thanks so much for any feedback.
    Moose
    Last edited by Southern_Belle; 29-05-08 at 13:52.

Re: Success with meds and CBT?

Yes CBT is awesome and may even help you get off your meds. It has changed my life so much. The TEA form exercise from the book by Sam Obitz that we used in my group is a great tool and if you use them long enough they will become your automatic way of thinking and you won't have to do them anymore. Work hard at the exercises and you'll eventually get the results you are looking for

hi i am pretty new to CBT myself however ( i am doing it through the NHS condition managment programme linked to pathways to work/job centre) i have learned how thinking affects us and i seem to understand why i get anxious/depressed and have agoraphobia....now in the next few weeks i will be facing up to going out with the help of my support buddies and putting into practice how to cope in the situation where i panic and gradually relearn that everything is ok. i have been on ADs & propranalol for about 9 years and at times have tried to come off them but always had relapse, i think doing the CBT is going to make it easier to come of meds when i feel ready as i will have learned ways to cope and have a different way of thinking...POSITIVELY!!!

good luck with your CBT hope it goes well karen x

ps sorry i dont know what SAM-e is.

Karen it sounds like you are doing great and keep working and you will reach the place you hope to be

Thread Information