Thread: Panic Disorder/Anxiety Disorder - How can you tell?

Panic Disorder/Anxiety Disorder - How can you tell?

I have panic attacks and i get very anxious in between - extremely anxious, like i can't breathe properly and perpetually feel like i'm waiting for a job interview!
    I don't have a very sympathetic doctor, he put me on citalopram 10mg then after 4 weeks increased to 20mg which he said he would do anyway...when i'm talking it's like he's not listening, when i initially went to see him, i had determined for myself that what i was suffering with were panic attacks but my doctor gives me nothing else, i assume that what i have is panic disorder - im terrified of my next panic attack. The medication has taken care of the panic attacks, i haven't had any recently, but it's doing nothing for the anxiety i have every day, i feel that i should increase my dose but my doctor isn't budging. As my doctor is really unhelpful i'm wondering do i have anxiety disorder aswell as panic disorder, or do i have anxiety disorder with panic attacks??
    I'm really feeling quite helpless as my doctor is so unhlpful and doesn't give anything away. My husband is wonderful and looks after me when i'm "not well" as he puts it, but i feel awful as it's affecting my ability to function normally and worried he is going to get fed up of lookng after me...anyone else have a useless doctor and have any advice??

Re: Panic Disorder/Anxiety Disorder - How can you tell?

Hiya,

I can relate to the problem you're having with your doctor. I was put on 10mg citalopram about 18 months ago, and since changing doctors shortly after that when I moved away to uni, my (new, and pretty useless) doctor has slowly put me up to 40mg, but doesn't seem to listen to what I say. He talks about social anxiety, something which I wouldn't say was a major part of the anxiety I have, and barely references the panic attacks I have. It seems like he doesn't understand, and is therefore reluctant to give it a name. I would say it sounds like you're right to think you have panic disorder, I've had to assume the same thing about myself for a long time, but have had it confirmed by my counsellor. While the medication is working for you I'd suggest seeing your doctor just for repeat prescriptions, but talking to someone else who is more qualified to discuss problems of this nature, in the mean time. I would say that speaking to my counsellor has helped my general anxiety more than any of the medication I've been given.

Nikki

If I may agree with Tetley by saying to try not to focus on "what will happen next.. or the next panic attack" this will only make it worse for you. Constantly thinking about this will not allow your mind to escape this fear and you will continue to feel anxious.
    * Concentrate on feeling better, distract your mind do constructive things.
    * Surround yourself with support - your husband, cognitive therapy (unlearning the bad) is a big help.
    * Don't focus on medication, take it if it helps and continue with your life.
    * If you DO NOT like your doctor seek help elsewhere.

Good luck..

yes, i agree with tetley too

if i sat here and thought, oh god when will the next one be, i'd think about the symptoms i get, and hey presto!! they would arrive.

i don't know if it would help you, but as part of my counselling, my counsellor told me to tlk to the little girl, the little girrl inside me, she is the scared one, the one who is threatened (not literally of course) and it does help, i jsut say over and over a few times 'its ok, i'm here to lok after you, i'm the grown up now', and the panic resolves after a while and then you do start to have periods of calm, which are bliss

its so very hard, but try not to think about it all, or it will happen. our minds are tricksters.

annie xx

Thread Information