Thread: Propranolol

Propranolol

I have just been back to my docs for some more citralopram and a "monthly review" to see how im going (im suffering with mild anxiety and depression)

shes popped my citralopram upto 20mg , but she has also given me Propranolol

Now ive read the leaflet - uh oh! lol shouldnt of done that and i can safely say i do NOT want to take these, and to be honest i dont see any reason why she has prescribed them

I havent been having anxiety attacks for ages now well 3 weeks lol, okay i got the occasional palpitation and my throat goes funny, and i feel like i cant breathe sometimes, and try and take a huge deep breath in- i dont know why she has prescribed them, she didnt explain why she just gave them to me, and i have 28, and it says one to be taken 3 times a day, and she wants me to go back in another month?! ill be back sooner than that if i take them, or does she want me to just take one a day, they are only 10mg so it would be 30mg a day

but im worried that these tablets will kill me or something (Okay this sounds crackers but i guess we have all had the same thoughts?!)

I have got no idea - i dont want to take something thats going to make me worse my stomach is fluttering at just the thought of it

Any advice or anything is welcome xx

Re: Propranolol

Charlotte,

I have been on Propranolol 160mg and now 80mg for a couple of years and as far as I know its a very safe drug.

Basically the Citalopram is addressing the brain or chemical side of the anxiety and all the Propranolol will do is help out with the physical symptoms.

I take it to help stop the hyperventilation, racing heart beat and those kinds of physical stuff.

It shouldn't conflict with your anti-depression med because they address different things. I've just been prescribed Effexor and plan to take both together.

It's prescribed for many things, some people take it befor exams or driving tests to stop them trembling or having a racing heart. A lot of performers take beta-blockers (like Propranolol) before they go on stage to calm them down before a live show.

Good luck
    Matt

Hi there, i also take propranolol 80mg daily. They arent dangerous but they do have some side effects, although i agree that they do calm your heart down...probably why she gave you them. Im surprised she didnt explain her reasons, but then again i always ask!

Its true that they can be given just before an exam etc and they are also used to treat high bp and migraine as they relax the blood vessels (the reason they slow down the heart). The side effects for me have been mostly with general feeling of low energy. Everyone is different though. I doubt if thed interact with your other meds or she wouldnt have pescribed them, but id try and find out why you have them if i were you. If you dont want to talk to your doc ask a pharmacist, theyre really good with meds and would probably advise you on why you have them.

Best wishes
    Cathy xxx

ive had 3 today ,80mg tablets , im feeling fine now , but if the pain comes back later on , its now 7pm last one was at 4pm , shall i have one before bed to relax me ''they are exellent at relieving pain absolutly brilliant in fact , but if pains there one before bed isnt going to kill me i should think ,?? 80mg what do you thing dangerouse levels would be ' has anyone else ever taken 4 in one whole day? Propranolol is the type they are ..thanks everyone i feel so much beter geting ground level information if i google .'Propranolol ' i end up with dont take these 'YOUL EXPLODE' or something along those lines' blumming internet'

Do not take any more today danny

i take one 80mg a day to slow my racing heart when i panic, the only thing i get is cold feet from them ,i dont mind that compared to the heart thing ,i think you will find they are very safe

hows your bp? it mde mine drop really low

I was prescribed Propranolol back in Aug '07 for panic attacks and anxiety and I was scared to take them.
    I do a lot a sport and I thought because they slow your heart down, that I wouldn't be able to run, cycle or play badminton.
    Of course my PAs and anxiety persisted and I went back to the docs in September last year. He put my mind at rest and I started taking them. I can still do all my sports just as well, if not better and the side effects are minimal. In my case, cold fingers and toes and sometimes a bit of stomach ache, which doesn't last long. I just wish I'd started taking them earlier. I must point out though that I only take 10 to 20 mg per day depending on ow I feel.

Thread Information