Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medication Advice

Re: Medication Advice

Quote Originally Posted by WorryBNot View Post
    Is this normal with the medication? i can't remember from the last time i took it. i'm already wondering if i'll need to get to 30mg, is it too early to tell? does it sound like it will eventually work given i've had some good days?
    You have only been on the usually minimum therapeutic dose for 4 weeks so it is too early to tell whether the med will be effective.

Does it sound promising that i've had good days?

How long should i wait before talking to a doctor it it isn't working?

Looking for advice again.

From Sunday to last night i was feeling great, could watch whatever i wanted. today i'm back to not being able to "let go" relax and enjoy what i'm doing.

The mind chatter in general is a lot better but this not being able to properly watch something is getting to me.

Does this sound like cit is working and i just have to wait for it fully work or did i just have a few good days? frustrated as hell

On Friday i was ready to ask the doctor for an increase to 30mg then everyhing started to go well and now i juts don't know what to do.

I've been on 20mg for 8 weeks this thursday.

Thanks for any advice

Does this sound like cit is working and i just have to wait for it fully work or did i just have a few good days?

On Friday i was ready to ask the doctor for an increase to 30mg then everyhing started to go well and now i juts don't know what to do.
    For many kick-in can be a matter of one step forward, two back for a while so a crash after some good days is not necessarily a bad sign. Unfortunately, there is no way of yet knowing whether 20mg is going to be enough. If things remain as they are now for a week then a dose increase may be warranted, but your doctor is better placed to make that call.

I've been on 20mg for 8 weeks this thursday.
    That puts you into the prime antidepressant kick-in zone. Most begin seeing benefits at 5-8 weeks, with citalopram generally becoming effective at the higher end of the range because of its longer half-life.

Thank you for the reply.

It just felt like i'd turned a corner with the medication along with the CBT and i was finally taking control and then wallop a boot in the face.

I guess it's another week or two of waiting it out.

It just felt like i'd turned a corner with the medication along with the CBT and i was finally taking control and then wallop a boot in the face.
    Anxiety is an unpredictable beast, and so are antidepressants. The only people who think meds are the easy option are those who've never taken them.

I guess it's another week or two of waiting it out.
    Afraid so.

If i did ask for an increase would the effects work quicker due to me being on it longer or am i still in for a bad few weeks?

Also if i upped from 20mg-30mg is it likely to worsen things like drowsiness?

Do you know if Inositol is good for intrusive thoughts?

Thanks for your advice as usual.

If i did ask for an increase would the effects work quicker due to me being on it longer or am i still in for a bad few weeks?
    It will take some weeks to begin having an effect, and there may be an increase in side-effects for a week or two, though they tend not to be as severe as at the beginning

Also if i upped from 20mg-30mg is it likely to worsen things like drowsiness?
    It may do.

Do you know if Inositol is good for intrusive thoughts?
    I don't know. However, if you decide to try it be aware that it is a mild blood thinner, as are SSRIs so watch for signs such as bruising more easily, nose and gum bleeding, etc, and lower the dose or stop taking it if they occur. It might be a good idea to seek advice from your chemist/pharmacist or GP before trying it.

A supplement that might be useful is the modified amino acid N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC). A number of small scale studies have found NAC can reduce OCD intrusive and compulsive thought patterns and also boost the effectiveness of antidepressants for OCD (Oliver G, 2015, PDF). There is a large scale international study currently underway to confirm this. NAC is generally a safe supplement with few side-effects. It is mostly used medically to protect the liver in cases of paracetamol, aka acetaminophen, overdose and has other medical uses. Doses of 1,800-3,000mg/day taken in 3 divided doses seems to work (start with one dose per day of around 500-600mg and increase by the same amount every 2-3 days to avoid triggering diarrhoea). NAC is best taken on an empty stomach about an hour before meals.

HOWEVER, be aware that a recent study found NAC (and some other antioxidants) may increase the risk of lung cancer in smokers, or those with some specific lung diseases (note, it doesn't cause lung cancer, only maybe reduces the ability of the immune system to detect and destroy existing cancerous cells). This finding has been the subject of much debate because there are many other studies showing NAC protects against lung cancer so it is probably not the final word on the subject. FWIW, I'm a lung cancer survivor and have take NAC for over 11 years because it is the best thing I've found for reducing fluid buildup in my remaining lung.

As with inositol, talk to your chemist or GP before trying this, or any other supplement.

Feeling very very low tonight.

It's been 10 weeks since was upped from 10mg to 20mg citalopram, overall i feel it's been better this week. still little motivation to get out of bed in the morning but less feeling down, less anxiety and less chatter in the head during the day.

The problem of not being able to relax and "be in the moment" whilst trying to watch something is still there and is getting me down. the feeling i'm stuck with it for good now is starting to play on my mind.

I'm trying to be positive (even though it's against my nature) i'm doing mindful breathing every day (which is really not me) i'm learning to let my thoughts pass and not pay attention to them but my mind just won't let go when i'm trying to watch something.

I'm unsure whether to keep taking 20mg and hope it goes or phone the doctor for an increase and spend the next month being as down and anxious as i have been the last few months.

Is this something that can be helped with medication or is it an experience thing or do i have it for life?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by WorryBNot; 14-07-17 at 23:22.

If you want to check on Inositol, read the examinesupplements page for it. It cites the studies and doses as well as ways to take smaller amounts in capsule form to avoid the GI issues that it can bring.

The drug interaction checkers may list Inositol. I checked my Duloxetine against it a while back on Drugs.com.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information