Thread: please if some1 can answer my question

please if some1 can answer my question

i need to know if i can take beconase puffer for hayfever along with citalporam ??? xxx

Re: please if some1 can answer my question

phone pharmacy or Nhs direct . Sorry I don't know x

Re: please if some1 can answer my question

Like reallyfedup said you can only get proper advice on this from a pharmacist or maybe NHS direct. BUT there is nothing in the Citalopram SPC which says:
    4.5 Interaction with other medicinal products and other forms of interaction
    Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) should not be used in combination with SSRIs (see Contraindications).
    The metabolism of citalopram is only partly dependent on the hepatic cytochrome P450 isozyme CYP2D6 and, unlike some other SSRIs, citalopram is only a weak inhibitor of this important enzyme system which is involved in the metabolism of many drugs (including antiarrhythmics, neuroleptics, beta-blockers, TCAs and some SSRIs). Protein binding is relatively low (<80%). These properties give citalopram a low potential for clinically significant drug interactions.
    Alcohol – The combination of citalopram and alcohol is not advisable. However clinical studies have revealed no adverse pharmacodynamic interactions between citalopram and alcohol.
    Serotonergic drugs – Co administration with serotonergic drugs (e.g. tramadol, sumatriptan) may lead to enhancement of 5-HT associated effects.
    Lithium & tryptophan – There is no pharmacokinetic interaction between lithium and citalopram. However there are have been reports of enhanced effects when SSRIs have been given with lithium or tryptophan and therefore the concomitant use of citalopram with these drugs should be undertaken with caution. Routine monitoring of lithium levels need not be adjusted.
    In a pharmacokinetic study no affect was demonstrated on either citalopram or imipramine levels, although the level of desipramine, the primary metabolite of imipramine, was increased. In animal studies cimetidine had little or no influence on citalopram kinetics.
    Dynamic interactions between citalopram and herbal remedy St John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) can occur, resulting in an increase in undesirable effects.
    A pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic interaction study in healthy volunteers with concomitant administration of citalopram and metoprolol (a CYP2D6 substrate) showed a twofold increase in metoprolol concentrations, but no statistically significant increase in the effect of metoprolol on blood pressure and heart rate.
    No pharmacodynamic interactions have been noted in clinical studies in which citalopram has been given concomitantly with benzodiazepines, neuroleptics, analgesics, lithium, alcohol, antihistamines, antihypertensive drugs, beta-blockers and other cardiovascular drugs.
    Pimozide
    Co administration of a single dose of pimozide 2 mg to subjects treated with racemic citalopram 40 mg/day for 11 days caused an increase in AUC and Cmax of pimozide, although not consistently throughout the study. The co-administration of pimozide and citalopram resulted in a mean increase in the QTc interval of approximately 10 msec. Due to the interaction noted at a low dose of pimozide, concomitant administration of citalopram and pimozide is contraindicated.
    Its my green bold of OK meds - you will notice that includes antihistamines BUT I now see your other medication is a Corticosteroid so its not on the list. But its also not on the bad list quoted.

Using the interaction checker at drugs.com gives no listed interaction. That's not the same as safe, but its a long way from scary.

Thread Information