Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took Kalms - Big Mistake

Took Kalms - Big Mistake

Hi everyone,

Since I have been going through a set back on my way to recovery, I have been suffering from horrible insomnia. I've been getting a good four hours, but waking up at 4am with the usual anxiety symptoms that seem most viscious in the mornings.

Last night, I decided to try Kalms Sleep tablets, which are a natural remedy to "assist with a good night sleep".

Well what a complete DISASTER!

I took them at 2100 (an hour before bedtime) and hit the hay at 2200. I got to sleep very easily, but at half past midnight, I was woken up with a severe start and a tremendously racing heart beat.

Now, this isn't so unusual for someone with anxiety, but the racing heart was far more severe than I have experienced before and could even feel it beating in my ears.

Now, it's 2pm and my heart still hasn't 'kalmed' down. I thought I would let you all know my experience so hopefully you can avoid it yourselves!

Steve x[B)]

***And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance***

Are you already on meds?If you are probably not advisable to take both.

Ellen XX

i take kalms when i need to and find they make me feel shattered-not a racing heart in sight, maybe its just your anxiety that gave you the fast heart...or you could be allergic to the valerian in them-mention it to your doc next time!

Thanks both - I agree, it could be my anxiety, but I have had anxiety for a number of months now and this feels unlike anything I've felt before...

I am on Sertraline at the moment too so maybe I should've checked with my GP before taking them?[)][Duh!]

***And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance***

taffysteve,
    think its because your on medication. I once emailed kalms and they told my mu to not take while on medication. It will ware off i should think, its not like you have been taking it for days.

Becci x

Becci x

Ive had a similar experience with another form of sleeping tablets. Ive been taken them for two nights now and my sleep has been a lot more broken than before. these days im used to getting 2-4 hours sleep a night, usually in one go, but it seems with these tablets i am waking up every 30 minutes with a racing heart and find it very difficult to get back off to sleep again.

Ive been advised to continue taking them for a week to see if there is any improvement but otherwise to come off them altogether and attempt different forms of sleep aid.

Religion? Communism? No, Love is the Opiate of the People

Re: Took Kalms - Big Mistake

I suffer with depression and panic attacks ,anxiety and a bad back and chronic insomnia . I am on several different types of medication for pain for my heart for anxiety and antidepressants . I was on sleeping tabs but gp was afraid I was getting hooked on them so I had to wean myself off and needed something to make me sleep .After several nights of no sleep was suggested kalms sleep ,couldn't believe it worked .I was never a great believer in herbal remedies but 3 tabs an hour before bed and I slept soundly for 6 hours . I have been taking them regularly for about 3 months and I have actually slept for 10 hours some nights they are a god send made me a believer in herbal remedies and no more insomnia .

Which just goes to show how everyone is different with all of these meds, and why nobody on nmp can tell another person what to take or not to take, we can only share our own experiences of taking them.

Some herbal remedies don't mix with anti depressants. I think it was Citalopram that said St Johns Wort had interactions.

Even Valerian has known interactions with some.

So, it pays to look around and see what could work.

Prescribed Hypnotics such as Zopiclone only relax you so you can sleep. they don't make you sleep longer than your body needs. Now this can be a problem because if you are anxious about undersleeping, you may get 2 hours less because you don't need it but start to worry you are not sleeping.

GP advice about Hypnotics can be poor as well. Mine told me to take them daily and I found it later I should have used them every other day. So, I had to wean off them which messed my sleep cycle up a lot at first and it took months to fully recover it. When offered this in my relapse, I took them home but decided that no matter how bad it got, I wouldn't take them...and it did get a lot worse but I stuck to that and came out the other side.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 28-04-14 at 08:54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information