Hi guys,

I posted this on another site, but nobody seemed to be able to help me. I'm freaking out.

Basically, last week I noticed a small lump (no more than 5 milimetres) on my neck. It is just at the lower end of my neck, right on top of a muscle I think it's called the trapezius. Basically where the neck starts to meet the shoulder.

To begin with, it felt rubbery and somewhat movable (though I do freak out about what movable means). You can sort of roll it between your fingers to some extent but not that much. Also, it seems to be somewhat attached to the muscle. The lump seemed smooth and nicely rounded. I thought cancer (though these aren't the usual signs), of course, and went to the doctor.

The doctor was so unhelpful it's unbelievable. She said she didn't think it was a lymph node (but she wasn't sure). She said she didn't think it was a cyst but then again it could be. She said things like this sometimes turn up and are nothing to worry about (but once again she couldn't be sure). For the first time I left the doctor more anxious than when I went in. Her advice was 'highly unlikely to be cancer and come back if it grows or something'.

The next part of the story is that that day I actually started fiddling with it and I realised I could bend it out of shape, and make it no longer potrude from the skin. I even seeemed to make it much smaller, though after a few hours it returned. It's as though it's made of paste or plasticiline.

Now, my question is, has anybody had anything remotely like this? I couldn't find anything at all like this on Google. Does this sound like it could still be cancerous? I'm really worried. I have made an appointment to see a BUPA doctor next week on the fourth, as I would like at least a proper explanation, but until then, does this sound like something to worry about?

Any help appreciated. Thanks