Thread: Is this derealization/depersonalization?

Is this derealization/depersonalization?

At the moment, and it happens quite often, everything looks out of focus and hazy, like all the light colours are clashing. I guess it feels kind of dream like. The worse part is the overwhelming sensation just to lay down where ever you are and go to sleep. I'm getting so many symptoms at the moment, it's unreal. Any help?

Re: Is this derealization/depersonalization?

I am not sure. Derealisation/depersonalisation for me is more of being in a situation, knowing I am in it, yet feeling it is all really surreal, almost like I am a bystander watching myself.

happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

I get visual disturbances too, and as far as I remember from my psychiatric assessment they are linked to DR/DP in that both are 'pseudo psychotic' symptoms (i.e. kind of like what you'd get if you had psychosis but not to the same extent, with one main difference being you know what you're seeing isn't really there). I've been assured it's quite common and just part of the anxiety disorder.

Im confused as to what derealisation/depersonalisation is. When i heard these terms i was relieved as they described a very scary symptom i have. I feel like another personality has entered my mind because i do not recognise my own thoughts....they are that far out. I would also find myself alarmed by really bizarre things as in very everyday things, eg, turning the page of a magazine and seeing a model wearing the same shoes as me or looking at my arm and seeing i had hair! I know this sounds barmy but it's true.
    Is this what anyone else is experiencing and is it normal (if you could call it that)!

I am so scared of going mad!

Debs8a,

I've had very similar feelings of being afraid of strange things and am also experiencing derealization as well. For example (as funny as this may seem) last night I went to Cirque Du Solei 'Delerium' (a circus type of event based on a guy whos experiencing a very bizzarre dream) and I couldnt take watching it and had to leave.

I've also been outside sometimes and just been afraid of my environment for what seems like no apparent reason.

I think its important to not jump to conclusions or catastrophize as its said on this site as well as many other resources that these are perfectly normal symptoms of high stress or anxiety.

Hope this helps

Thread Information